Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Ok, I have had a weird oil leak (so I thought) for the past couple of weeks. It would leak a little bit for a couple days, then stop. It had stopped towards the end of the week, so I thought it had gone away, after all the engine never lost any oil during any of this. Yesterday during the 1st autox, I noticed that it was the power steering res. leaking everywhere. It leaks out the cap and all of the hoses and lines going to it at both ends of them. It leaked enought to get all over my suspension and even on the tires and wheels. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this because I am lost.

1995 SE Mods- SVT Exhaust. SVT Intake, E1 SVT Wheels, BAT Euro Suspension, 20% tint sides and rear, 50% tint windshield. Future Mods- A new third syncro. It's my boring daily driver that I autocross on the weekends.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Air in system causing foaming or possibly wrong fluid type.

Any work on ps system lately? If so, perhaps system was not bled properly.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Nope, It hasn't been touched since I've owned the car. The fluid is a little bit dirty, but it has always been full until recently. No problems at all from Nov. 2001 until last week.

1995 SE Mods- SVT Exhaust. SVT Intake, E1 SVT Wheels, BAT Euro Suspension, 20% tint sides and rear, 50% tint windshield. Future Mods- A new third syncro. It's my boring daily driver that I autocross on the weekends.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Check for physical damage/leaks in ps fluid cooling tube adjacent to bottom of rad and the hose connections thereto. This is low pressure side of ps system and leak there could let fluid weep out when engine off, but suck air in when engine on. Other possibility of course would be the pump.

Z
zakatak Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
Damn, you're good. I put it on a lift last night at my dad's work. The return line was rubbing against the oil pan. It looks like someone forgot to put the strap that hold the lines away from the pan back on after some work. Lines were $31.xx and I might need a new oil pan. Oh well, thanks for your help.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Accolades accepted even if not entirely warranted, since I just pointed in general direction - you found the specific problem.
Don't forget to bleed ps system and cross fingers re oil pan.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard