Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I may, haven't decided yet.

Heres the website address for the article on drain intervals.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/lng_article/march_lng_new.pdf

Last year I did the one year thing on both my car and my wife's car ('00 Tracer with SOHC 2L). I used Amsoil's standard synthetic. Both cars went about 20K. Neither car dropped more than 1/2 quart of oil in that time. I think that's a measure of the oil's volatility as much as anything.

I haven't been as confident with Mobil 1 on the extended drain, because Mobil doesn't talk about it. I still don't think they are formulating for the very extended drain cycle that Amsoil does. I think that Amsoil really works hard on keeping the volatility low, Mobil has different priorities.

I was looking at some Amsoil stuff. With proper filtration, the drain interval the large Diesels are doing is mind-boggling. Just saw one where a guy has his oil analyzed regularly, and changes it as needed. Last change was 409,000 (yes, that's correct ) miles ago, and the oil still meets spec.

A few years ago I remember having a conversation I had with a Dr. friend who had just bought new car. (Honda-Isuzu SUV actually.) He noticed that the oil drain interval in the owners manual was much longer than the 3K he had been hearing all around. This guys pretty sharp. He graduated Cum Alude with a degree in engineering before deciding to go med school - at the Mayo clinic. I just asked him what benefit would Honda-Isuzu have in recommending a longer drain interval than necessary toprovide for maximum engine longevity? What benefit would there be for the oil manufacturers, and engine lube places, to recommend shorter than necessary intervals? So who is probably more accurate? For him the light went on immediately.

With garden variety dino lube, Ford recommends 5K.

Food for thought.
Richard

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by revrev:
I may, haven't decided yet.

Heres the website address for the article on drain intervals.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/lng_article/march_lng_new.pdf

Last year I did the one year thing on both my car and my wife's car ('00 Tracer with SOHC 2L). I used Amsoil's standard synthetic. Both cars went about 20K. Neither car dropped more than 1/2 quart of oil in that time. I think that's a measure of the oil's volatility as much as anything.

I haven't been as confident with Mobil 1 on the extended drain, because Mobil doesn't talk about it. I still don't think they are formulating for the very extended drain cycle that Amsoil does. I think that Amsoil really works hard on keeping the volatility low, Mobil has different priorities.

I was looking at some Amsoil stuff. With proper filtration, the drain interval the large Diesels are doing is mind-boggling. Just saw one where a guy has his oil analyzed regularly, and changes it as needed. Last change was 409,000 (yes, that's correct ) miles ago, and the oil still meets spec.

A few years ago I remember having a conversation I had with a Dr. friend who had just bought new car. (Honda-Isuzu SUV actually.) He noticed that the oil drain interval in the owners manual was much longer than the 3K he had been hearing all around. This guys pretty sharp. He graduated Cum Alude with a degree in engineering before deciding to go med school - at the Mayo clinic. I just asked him what benefit would Honda-Isuzu have in recommending a longer drain interval than necessary toprovide for maximum engine longevity? What benefit would there be for the oil manufacturers, and engine lube places, to recommend shorter than necessary intervals? So who is probably more accurate? For him the light went on immediately.

With garden variety dino lube, Ford recommends 5K.

Food for thought.
Richard

Food for thought indeed, Richard. As for me, you're "preachin' to the choir" ... Let's hope many other CEGers are paying attention to this thread.

RE: M1 oil anlysis at 10K -- as you've commited yourself to it this far, I'd say "Do it". Before I became 100% convinced that Amsoil did everything it claims it can do (this was 10-12 years ago), the lab I used was Cleveland Tech. Unfortunately, a quickie Google search under "oil analysis" does not find them ... But it does return a watershed of information on the subject.

If M1 is good for extended-drain, in a pinch, it would be an even more acceptable substitute for the Amsoil I run in my CSVT.

The majority of the eye-opening, Amsoil "large-diesel" numbers you're seeing are likely derived from long-haul truckers who have for years known about Amsoil's By-Pass oil filter -- the granddaddy of ultimate oil filtration units. Essentially, as long as Amsoil engine oil is used and the by-pass filter elements are changed according to spec, the oil supply does not have to be changed before 500,000 miles -- and the drain can and has been extended to well over 750,000 miles with no adverse effects.

These kind of numbers tend to boggle the minds of the uninitiated. But, a search of my prior posts on the subject of Amsoil will pretty much flesh-out my 15-year history with Amsoil lubes and the reasons why I endorse Amsoil's synlubes with no reservation whatsoever.

Hopefully, the link you posted will shed additional light on the topic for all who take the time to read it.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I've been thinking about adding the bypass filter to the 'tour. It looks to me that if I were to move the battery to the trunk, I could put the dual filter unit from Amsoil where the battery used to be. Also would mean that I could change the oil without getting oil all over the front manifold. I can't really see any other place to mount it in the engine bay with a duratec.

My wife is making noises about driving her Tracer another 100K or more. If that be the case, I will probably put one on the Tracer also. I think I can find a place for the filter easier in her car.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I've been thinking about adding the bypass filter to the 'tour. It looks to me that if I were to move the battery to the trunk, I could put the dual filter unit from Amsoil where the battery used to be. Also would mean that I could change the oil without getting oil all over the front manifold. I can't really see any other place to mount it in the engine bay with a duratec.

My wife is making noises about driving her Tracer another 100K or more. If that be the case, I will probably put one on the Tracer also. I think I can find a place for the filter easier in her car.

Yeah, you've hit upon -- and possibly solved -- the one, itty-bitty problem about a by-pass filter install into the Duratec engine compartment: the itty-bitty amount of available room in the engine compartment to add the amazing-but-bulky damn thing.

Good thing for everyone watching this thread that you're so damn inventive, determined ... and married! Like has often been said, behind every savvy man, there's an equally savvy woman who knows her girlie car has a more roomy engine compartment just begging for an easy mod or two ...

Say "Amen", somebody!

Make sure you negotiate the quid-pro-quo in such a way that, in exchange for extending the lifespan of her (test) car (you sly dog) by installing the by-pass, she will buy you a digital camera, so you can photo-document your creative by-pass installations for the benefit of the rest of us!

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Interesting......

I run AMS OIL in my car. I do the change the oil once a year thing since I only drive about 10k miles per year.

I agree with you on the volitility of AMS OIL. The oil thats in my car now has about 8k on it and the oil is still on the same spot on the dip stick now as it was when I put the oil in.

I'm a strong believer in AMS OIL products. Although I've met alot of criticism about it. I've read their reports about internal testing on their products and read some of the testimonials.

My last viehicle, '95 F-150, I decided to drain the transmission and rear end oil to re-fill with AMS OIL. ATF in the manual transmission and their Series 2000 80W-90 in the rear end. I drove it about 100 miles a day at the time and I immediately noticed an increase in fuel economy after putting AMS OIL in the drivetrain. About an average of 1MPG increase over the factory fill lubricants.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by JSmith:
Interesting......

I run AMS OIL in my car. I do the change the oil once a year thing since I only drive about 10k miles per year.

I agree with you on the volitility of AMS OIL. The oil thats in my car now has about 8k on it and the oil is still on the same spot on the dip stick now as it was when I put the oil in.

I'm a strong believer in AMS OIL products. Although I've met alot of criticism about it. I've read their reports about internal testing on their products and read some of the testimonials.

My last viehicle, '95 F-150, I decided to drain the transmission and rear end oil to re-fill with AMS OIL. ATF in the manual transmission and their Series 2000 80W-90 in the rear end. I drove it about 100 miles a day at the time and I immediately noticed an increase in fuel economy after putting AMS OIL in the drivetrain. About an average of 1MPG increase over the factory fill lubricants.

Needless to say, re: Amsoil, we're as close as two peas in a pod.

My advice to you is, keep doing exactly what you're doing. I've been running Amsoil synlubes in the powertrains of my cars long enough to know they are -- without question -- top dog.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R

This is also not very applicable for people that want to supercharge there car....The supercharger goes right where the battery is....Sucks don't it.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
if I were to move the battery to the trunk, I could put the dual filter unit from Amsoil where the battery used to be. I can't really see any other place to mount it in the engine bay with a duratec.

with the remote mounted filter you could always fabricate a set of hoses to carry the oil to the filter unit mounted where ever you like. You could put it in the trunk.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard