Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Nah, it's cool. The mere mention of Mobil 15W50 at TDI club can start a flame war. Some of those guys take oil WAAAY too seriously.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I feel ya on that one....lol....some people do here too...but its understandable, oil is the life blood of the car, and if the blood is tainted...then well....we all know what can happen.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
I feel ya on that one....lol....some people do here too...but its understandable, oil is the life blood of the car, and if the blood is tainted...then well....we all know what can happen.

Roz

New Fox reality show? "When good oil goes bad..."

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Na...Geraldo Revera...."When Good Oil Goes Bad, On The Next Geraldo!" Or Jerry Springer, "When Oil Seeps With Fuel, and the Piston Rings Hurt By It!"

Oh god...too much time on my hands.....lmao

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P

Roz

Well, there's a point when the love of your car becomes an obsession. Some of the TDI guys have gone beyond that, especially those who refuse to run anything less than a group 4 synthetic basestock oil and run oil analysis in an attempt to get the most miles out of their oil, post figures about the analysis that requires a chemistry degree to comprehend, rather than simply following the rather generous 10,000 mile factory specified oil change interval using a cheaper but more than satisfactory group 3 synthetic basestock and then calling those of us that do the latter "cheap" or criticize the purchase of a group 3 oil when it's more than $4 a quart.

Threads get locked over stuff like that.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by PackRat:

Roz

Well, there's a point when the love of your car becomes an obsession. Some of the TDI guys have gone beyond that, especially those who refuse to run anything less than a group 4 synthetic basestock oil and run oil analysis in an attempt to get the most miles out of their oil, post figures about the analysis that requires a chemistry degree to comprehend, rather than simply following the rather generous 10,000 mile factory specified oil change interval using a cheaper but more than satisfactory group 3 synthetic basestock and then calling those of us that do the latter "cheap" or criticize the purchase of a group 3 oil when it's more than $4 a quart.

Threads get locked over stuff like that.

WOW..that is harsh....sorry you have to put up with people like that....your very right there is a diffrence between an Enthusist and and obsession.

P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Engine mfg's and oil Mfg's work together on oil specs. 5W-30 is specified for reasons related to fuel economy, valve train lubrication design (e.g see small oil channels), start-up lubrication performance, over all engine cooling.

Personally, having previously worked for Pennzoil and taken their lubrication training in Dallas, I would never go to a 15W-anything unless I had a deisel or the mfg spec'd it. 5W-50 Synthetic would Ok for extreme high temp operating environments. 0W-any thing would only make sense for seasonal application in extreme cold environments (like the arctic).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by PeterM; 04/15/03 01:08 AM.
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Finally got ahold of Mobil 1's european formula 0w-40, and not sure but I believe the European Duratec's are using it. Chain noise at start up cold or hot now less than a 1/4 second. Since Porsche designed this motor, it seems only right to treat it to the good stuff. 5 years old and at least 10 more to go.
No more snake oil Syntec after Castrol's engineers blew me off when I complained about all the lamp black in the valve-train area. (Two oil changes in 9 months) So much for their fallacious synthetic.
One thing to remember, It's your car, your money whatever makes you feel good do it. The oil companies are out to make a buck and since loyality has went by the way-side, buyer beware! Even if you had your own lab, time and money, you'd probalbly realize it's mostly "marketing hype".
While I can still afford Mobil 1 this is what I'm using in my Duratec and my John Deere.
Paul
98 Mystique LS
DMD

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I'm running the 0W-40 as well and have also noticed that the chain noise went away faster. This is good stuff!

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I know it exsists, but i am very fond of using my 5w 30 Mobil 1.....Some one said (localy) it was the [censored]!!! What are the pros and cons of this weight??? IS is worth it??

I live in the Bay Area, so the weather in teh summer gets no cooler than 85, and as hot as 105.

Roz

Like I've said sooo many times before: other than in extreme cold temps or under extended, extreme load conditions, whether it's in your moderate Bay Area climate (I've lived there) or the 20 hotter-than-hell Texas summers me and my cars went through, with an extended drain (14,000 miles in my '98 CSVT), and their 20-year-jump-on-the-market-and-hold-all-the-foundation-patents, for our CSVT cars, Amsoil 5w-30 100% synthetic is the only way to go all year long.

"Don't think twice Baby, it's alright"

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard