Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I know it exsists, but i am very fond of using my 5w 30 Mobil 1.....Some one said (localy) it was the [censored]!!! What are the pros and cons of this weight??? IS is worth it??

I live in the Bay Area, so the weather in teh summer gets no cooler than 85, and as hot as 105.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I used to run 15w50 mobil 1 in my se sport and I never had any problems with it. Of course I live in San Diego so I don't have to worry about the cold affecting my oil.

Traded in - 2000 SVT Black tan leather DMD, Pro-Flow 75mm MAF, SHO Shop Intake Mystery mod(awaiting installation) Now 2004 Acura RSX Type S 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
you can expect a small loss in fuel economy and a slight loss in power due to the parasitic loss to the higher fluid friction in the thicker oil.

I'd expect the engine to feel smoother in the upper revs.

I'd be hesitant about using this oil in cooler weather becasue the oil galleries of the engine were designed to accomodate a multigrade SAE30 oil so when the oil is cold and thick it may take an excessive ammount of time before it reaches certain areas of the engine after start-up.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Have you considered Mobil 1 0W-40? Perfect for the occasionally chilly morning but nice and thick even in the scorching summer.
Yes it probably has more viscosity modifiers than 5W-30 but if you change it every 3k or even 5k it won't matter.

Brian Dors
99 SVT

P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
The previous owner of my car used Mobil 1 15W50 because it's CF rated (for diesels) and meets the bare minimum standards set for VW diesel engines. Not the best choice but certainly not the worst. My engine survived it. I switched to a more diesel friendly oil, Shell Rotella T synthetic, 5W40.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by PackRat:
The previous owner of my car used Mobil 1 15W50 because it's CF rated (for diesels) and meets the bare minimum standards set for VW diesel engines. Not the best choice but certainly not the worst. My engine survived it. I switched to a more diesel friendly oil, Shell Rotella T synthetic, 5W40.

See thats for a diesel engine....I appreciate the info, but im looking for the duratec engine not a diesel. Its kinda comparing apples and oranges....but thanks....0w-40 huh????

Sounds intresting considering that evey winter here in the bay area seems to get colder....like this past winter it was below freezing....25 to 30 degrees...almost every night..

Thanks guys,
roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
I think you meant 0w30 Mobil 1 right Sorry just trying to be helpful, don't want some CEG-er walking into their local autoparts store and lookin' bad. Anyways unless you live where its HOT all the time, I'd stay away from the 15w50 Mobil 1 unless your running a S/C or turbo, seeing that they produce ALOT of heat and you would need an oil that can not only stand up to high revs, but stand up to the heat produced by the forced induction AND hi-revs IMO I'd just stick w/ the 5w30, seeing you don't really need the 0w30 there in Cali Also don't forget your synthetic oil filter too!

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
Originally posted by PackRat:

See thats for a diesel engine....I appreciate the info, but im looking for the duratec engine not a diesel. Its kinda comparing apples and oranges....but thanks....0w-40 huh????

Sounds intresting considering that evey winter here in the bay area seems to get colder....like this past winter it was below freezing....25 to 30 degrees...almost every night..

Thanks guys,
roz

Dude, all I meant was that the oil didn't kill my engine.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Hey man, i didn't mean any insult (if i did)....and i understood that you ment it that it didn;t kill your engine, the reason i said it was looking for info on the Duratec is because comparing experiences on the similar or same engine are going to yeild the same results or similar results as if i were to test it on my own car, but with out the risk of experimentation. Though id hardly say this was a risk, i still would rather find out and learn from peoples mistakes than to risk my own car in experament.

Best regards,
Lupe Garcia

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
whoa, i too have a question now. What's the deal w/ castrol sythetic?? i've been using that and only that, is Mobil better? If not, then what's the best, for summer, not winter, it's only driven in summer. I haven't had to change the oil in sooo long (i moved, it's at the other end of the state ) and i want to say that i used Castrol Synthetic 10w30, that may be wrong, i just changed my gf's oil and might be what i put in there, but anyway, what's scoop on oil as far as what i run and Mobil? Thanks guys

I'M RICK JAMES BITC#!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard