Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Hey guys, I searched all the archives to try and get to the bottom of this gas smell thing and I cant find the problem. I have been able to narrow down the area the smell is comming from, and this is not the cat, cause its smells like raw gas fumes. last weekend I removed the black canister thking in the rear under the trunk and inspected all the hoses, and blew through the canister and seems clear and ok. The smell is usally when the car reaches normal temp, and I notice it mostly when driving at any speed, and mostly when I let off the gas, like while coasting. I have been able to stop a few times when this happens to try and pinpoint where the gas smell is coming from, and it seems to be mostly in the rear near the drivers side wheele well area, but I have smelled it around my side skirts at the bottom and near the front wheele well as well. What the heck could be causing this, could it be a line coming from the firewall to the cansister prehaps cracked somewhere in the middle under the car?, I dont know what elce to check, but I hate this smell its really annoying. Any help would be great..

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Have you noticed any drips on the driveway? Gas evaporates fairly quickly, so you'd have to actually be outside watching for them.

Maybe let the car idle for a little while and start looking for moisture.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Originally posted by D Davis:
Have you noticed any drips on the driveway? Gas evaporates fairly quickly, so you'd have to actually be outside watching for them.

Maybe let the car idle for a little while and start looking for moisture.

I have not noticed any drips, but I will check more closley tonight. Its weird cause it seems to only happen, or the only time I smell it is when I let off the gas like while coasting, and its fumes and seems to drift right in my front window, or maybe its coming from somewhere in the cabin, but seems like its comming in from the window, cause if I shut my window I never have smelled the gas fumes.

CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Mad Mole wrote me back and said the following, but funny thing is I thought there was a recall on this which I took my car in last year and they were suppose to repair.

Its the fuel tank vent hose, There is a small hose parallel to the filler hose, that lets air into the tank to stop a vacuum forming. I've heard of several cases where this had come undone

Only other thing would be the fuel filter which is under the car by the drivers side back wheel, check its connections

Good Luck

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Call a dealer - run the VIN. It may not have been done.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Originally posted by D Davis:
Call a dealer - run the VIN. It may not have been done.

Accually I dont think this is my problem because I dont have any visible fuel leaking. Now before I had this TSB done, gas used to leak bad when filling the car all the way up. Its never done that ever sence I had the recall done so that leads me to believe that this TSB is not my problem. Dam I just want to get to the bottom of this, its been going on now for two years, I just get these gushes of fumes that come in through my window, and this can even be when going hwy speeds of 65, but like I said before It moistly happens when ** letting off the gas** coasting.. This is when I get the strongeset fumes. Could this be my intake or exsaust manifold gaskets?

Make: FORD
Model: CONTOUR
Affected Year(s): 1996
Units Affected: 1301
TC Recall #: 1999166
Manufacturer:
Campaign Code: 99S25

Recall Details
The fuel filler pipe vent hose on these vehicles may have less than the intended level of ozone resistance, which could result in the hose becoming brittle and cracking. A cracked hose could result in fuel leakage when the vehicle is being fueled. Fuel leakage in sufficient quantity in the presence of an ignition source could potentially result in a fire. Correction: Dealers will install a fuel filler vent hose containing the appropriate blend of PVC and nitrile rubber.

V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
OK, I'll give Contours one thing. They're predicable! I had this problem not two weeks ago. Gas fumes at speed! It was that my fuel pickup hose had cracked. The tank had to be dropped.

Check for fuel on the bottom of the tank!

D.

PS My CEL came on today. Really predictable.

1999 Ford Contour SE 5spd 74km
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Originally posted by Daniel Segall:
OK, I'll give Contours one thing. They're predicable! I had this problem not two weeks ago. Gas fumes at speed! It was that my fuel pickup hose had cracked. The tank had to be dropped.

Check for fuel on the bottom of the tank!

Last night after driving home from work when I pulled in my gararge, There was heaving gas fumes coming from the gas cap/filler area. It was really strong in the rear right wheele well also. I guess it could be the cap, so I put another rubber gasket around the cap, and its still spewing out fumes. Is it the filler pipe that is damaged? If so Im taking it back to ford and have them re-do the TSB I had done last year..

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard