Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Well since I'm doing a 3.0L and Street Flight Turbo Kit, I figured I would go ahead and drop the compression down and buy some lower compression pistons. I've been in contact with Nikolas from duratecperformance.com and I've gotten a quote from Ross Racing for some custom 8.5:1 3.0L flat-top pistons. Ross Racing uses 2618 T-61 aluminum in all of their pistons. The price for myself alone is $1050. However, if I get just one more person the price drops about 40% to $780 . Rings, pins, and pin assembly is all included in the price.

Since the 3.0L duratec came with 3 different size of pistons, these pistons are a 1mm overbore, so the cylinders will have to be rehoned which isnt too expensive. Might as well get it done while the crank is being rebalanced. Contact Rick Blackford (Buckshot77) if you need this service done.

This deal will only apply up until the date I order which is about 2 weeks. After that, the price jumps to $900 a set!

According to Ross Racing, delivery time for custom pistons is about 2.5-3 weeks depending on the season.

If your looking to run more boost or play it safe to avoid detonation, now is the time to order! I don't think I left out any information. If I did, I'll be sure to include it. If you have any further questions, contact Nikolas or myself. Serious Buyers only!

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Since the 3.0L duratec came with 3 different size of pistons, these pistons are a 1mm overbore, so the cylinders will have to be rehoned which isnt too expensive.

Where did you get the info about 3 different piston sizes? The bore and piston size on the 3.0L has not changed since it's introduction in 1996. The new piston used in 1999 has valve reliefs and relocated ring lands. No size change.

Also, what head gasket are you planning to use with a 1mm overbore. I doubt the stock head gasket can accept that.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
another APril fool's joke, haha.

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
No, I think this one is for real, I would love lower CR, but I hope my motor is in the car long before these are made. Good luck with the GB though....

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
B
Learned patience the hard way
B
Originally posted by procyon:
Since the 3.0L duratec came with 3 different size of pistons, these pistons are a 1mm overbore, so the cylinders will have to be rehoned which isnt too expensive.

Where did you get the info about 3 different piston sizes? The bore and piston size on the 3.0L has not changed since it's introduction in 1996. The new piston used in 1999 has valve reliefs and relocated ring lands. No size change.

Also, what head gasket are you planning to use with a 1mm overbore. I doubt the stock head gasket can accept that.

Procyon, he's referring to the fact that there are actually 6 grades of pistons available for the car. Most are grade 2, but since that can't be counted on, it's far better to get something slightly oversized so everyone can use the same size and have their engine bored out to fit, plus who couldn't use a few extra CC's

And FYI, this is not an april fools joke.

Thanks,
Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B

This is not an Apirl Fool's joke! This is the real deal!

its not cylinder pressure that damages the stock gasket, its detonation.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P

This is not an Apirl Fool's joke! This is the real deal!

its not cylinder pressure that damages the stock gasket, its detonation.

What happens when the ring of the head gasket is smaller than the cylinder diameter? (must add chamfer to diameter also) You get a thin hot object right at the top of your combustion chamber. Most aftermarket head gaskets have larger fire rings for a reason.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up buckshot. I didn't realize he was talking about the 3 piston grades used at the plant, which are in approx. 0.010mm steps.

B
B
I'll double check the head gasket issue. 1.0 mm overbore is a standard overbore size offered by the oem quality aftermarket piston suppliers for this engine.

rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
last chance for anyone that wants them. im ordering them this week regardless.

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard