Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
When I push the button nothing happens, the light doesn't come on and the defrost doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Matt.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
First check the switch for proper operation, although with the light not comming on it's a good indication that it is not working right. I would think that you could manually complete the circuit on the switch to see if the defroster starts to work. I'm not sure of the wiring but you should be able to bridge the contacts with a short piece of wire. It may be best to wait for horseygug to chime in here, he will know better than me.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
First check Fuse 29 30amp on interior fuse panel. If OK then rear window defrost relay r13 is next likely suspect. To check it, temporarily substitute with relay r14 which should be identical. Relay info clearly marked on case.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by horseydug:
First check Fuse 29 30amp on interior fuse panel. If OK then rear window defrost relay r13 is next likely suspect. To check it, temporarily substitute with relay r14 which should be identical. Relay info clearly marked on case.

Thanks for your help! I went out and checked them......
The fuse is good and the relay is clicking when I push the button.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Matt.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Clicking confirms coil is getting juice. To check that relay contact is actually working requires meter, the suggested relay substitution does that without one.

Next step would require meter, timer module a possibility.

C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by horseydug:
Clicking confirms coil is getting juice. To check that relay contact is actually working requires meter, the suggested relay substitution does that without one.

Next step would require meter, timer module a possibility.

OK, I went out and substituted the relay with the other one and it still does not work.

Where is this "timer module"?
I have a Meter, where would I start checking? Maybe I should go buy a wiring diagram.

Thanks, Matt.

C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Anyone know where the "timer module" is?

Thanks, Matt.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Timer module snaps into underside of interior fuse panel (before it's flipped down). It's a 20 terminal device with no internal details provided in wiring diags.
I'm loath to recommend replacement without further confirmation testing since recently 2 members I've assisted have diagnosed similar problems and found what appears to be bad connections either to or within the interior fuse panel. Again, no details of panel provided in Ford wiring diags.
I have 2 cars so substitution of suspected components easy to try at n/c. Believe module is about $40 which is a little much to spend on spec.

Here's a quick test to try:
Ignition off, press and hold defrost switch. Turn ignition to on and then release defrost switch. Move w/s wiper to intermittent position then;
press and release defrost switch - wipers should work.
Press and release defrost switch twice- defrost indicator light should come on.
Press and release defrost switch twice- interior lights should come on.
Press and release defrost switch twice- seat belt warning light should activate.
Press and release defrost switch
End of test,ignition off, restore wipers and re-post results.

Edit: twice added.

I suspect that defrost light will not come on. If so, then pull relay and check relay socket for volts between terminal 2 and ground and 3 and ground. Normal operation both should be 12 volts. I suspect you will get 12 and zero.

Last edited by horseydug; 04/02/03 02:31 AM.

C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
OK, I did the above "test" and the wipers worked, no defrost indicator light, interior lights and seat belt light came on.

No power to termial #2 at the relay, 12Vs at #3.

I stumbled upon a 95 Contour with defrost at the local salvage yard so I tried that timer module... It doesn't work either. I guess it could be bad too??? Or is it the switch? Or do I have a bad connection somewhere?

Thanks for your help, Matt.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Your findings noted, opposite to what I expected, and I'm confused.
Possible your latter point maybe the answer. Also possible terminal #s are wrong in '97 and '98 manuals. Volts at terminals 1 and 5 would be of interest, but let me think about this, since I'm only on 1st coffee of the day, and I'll add later today via edit.

Edit:
It would seem that problem is at fuse panel. With relay out terminals 2 & 3 of the relay socket should both have 12 volts to ground. Terminal 5 should have zero volts to ground, and if so then terminal 3 should read 12 volts to terminal 5. Relay in, pull fuse, ignition on, defrost switch pushed relay should click and then volts to ground from one of the fuse socket terminals should be 12 volts.
There have been several cases of loose connections at fuse panel and wiggling the connectors seems to be the only method of finding.

Last edited by horseydug; 04/22/03 02:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard