Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Anyone run in ESP? ESP is kinda dead in my region. STS is packed, including many FTD. Well, I want some trophies ok? So maybe ESP is the way to go.

What mods have you done for ESP?
How is it different than STS?
Yes, I have read the rulebook, but I can't see much difference.

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Technically this year there really isn't much difference from the SP classes and the ST classes other then tires. Rule of thumb is you can do a little more to the car in the SP's then ST's (ie. motor mounts, more intake mods, head work, etc.).

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
1. If you have touched your pre-cats or main cat you can't run in any class but ESP.

2. Also "technically" a CAI that moves the MAF is not permitted in STS.

3. Of course no internal engine or tranny changes in STS.

----
Are the rules changing that much to say either 1 or 2 is legal in STS???
----

The couple times I will get to go this season I will be running ESP. (per the rules)
My main competition in ESP would be a fellow running a Lightning. Try 400+/500+ and hoosier slicks. It's just sick how mean it is on the moderate and long tracks! I took him last year on the short tracks.
He won ESP for his 2nd or 3rd year in a row. (He's upgraded trucks atleast once as he ran a 02 last year.)

I faired decent in the few times out last year in STS. I went to 4 races and had a 2nd, 3rd, 5th, & 5th finish.
KC has a good size turnout for Auto-X events.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Lightning-boy (Roger) is campaigning his ex-Bondurant mustang this year in either SM or CP. Your car should be legal for SM as well, which I believe doesn't address catalysts since it picks up were the SP classes leave off.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
1. If you have touched your pre-cats or main cat you can't run in any class but ESP.

2. Also "technically" a CAI that moves the MAF is not permitted in STS.

3. Of course no internal engine or tranny changes in STS.

----
Are the rules changing that much to say either 1 or 2 is legal in STS???
----

Hmmm, I don't know if the rules are changing as far as MAF locations go. I definitely know they are very strict as far as all your cats are concerned though. However, you could run in STX as long as your main cat is within 6" of the original location and it can be an aftermarket cat.

Motor mounts are a big bitchfest right now in STS. Everybody complains about having to replace the stock ones every year. Don't be surprised if during the middle of this year they change that and allow aftermarket replacements to help cut costs of some of the people runing nationally in STS.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Qbert:
1. Hmmm, I don't know if the rules are changing as far as MAF locations go.

2. I definitely know they are very strict as far as all your cats are concerned though. However, you could run in STX as long as your main cat is within 6" of the original location and it can be an aftermarket cat.

2. Motor mounts are a big bitchfest right now in STS. Everybody complains about having to replace the stock ones every year. Don't be surprised if during the middle of this year they change that and allow aftermarket replacements to help cut costs of some of the people runing nationally in STS.

1. Per the rules (last year's anyway) you can not move the MAF from it's stock location more than a hair or two. Then only for fitment issues.

2. I have headers. That's removing emmision equipment. That's against the rule as it's worded.
Also I have No cat either so it's really moot for me, but I was really telling everyone else the rules...

Do you have a website with the NEW rules posted? Last year's rules said NO modification of any sort to any emissions equipment. (BTW the TH fix violates this rule if you want to be technical)

3. I have "stock" mounts. They are just filled with HD Urethane.
No aftermarket mounts for us anyway.

{edit - found the 03 rules}
1. [on the Duratec] Headers or gut pre-cats are definitely not legal in any ST class

2. It appears that UIM, LIM, TB changes are not allowed! (bye bye any "upgraded" Non-SVT's!) This makes you all "Street Prepared" by default!

Any clarification here??? - Does "updating" legally include SVT parts if the engine & transmission are both the same (I.E. Duratec & MTX-75)

3. An aftermarket cat in the stock location does appear to be legal. However it makes you "STX"
No cat, of course, is not legal in any ST class.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by MFE:
Lightning-boy (Roger) is campaigning his ex-Bondurant mustang this year in either SM or CP. Your car should be legal for SM as well, which I believe doesn't address catalysts since it picks up were the SP classes leave off.

Is not Street Modified a large notch above Street Prepared! As in pretty much anything goes category...

I'll stick to ESP thank you

They should have an EST For those that don't want to run slicks. (Yes I realize they "want" STS/STX to be that but it just doesn't work!)
There are several minor mods that take you out of every Street Tire category and it is really very silly!

Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q

1. Per the rules (last year's anyway) you can not move the MAF from it's stock location more than a hair or two. Then only for fitment issues.

2. I have headers. That's removing emmision equipment. That's against the rule as it's worded.
Also I have No cat either so it's really moot for me, but I was really telling everyone else the rules...

Do you have a website with the NEW rules posted? Last year's rules said NO modification of any sort to any emissions equipment. (BTW the TH fix violates this rule if you want to be technical)

3. I have "stock" mounts. They are just filled with HD Urethane.
No aftermarket mounts for us anyway.

{edit - found the 03 rules}
1. [on the Duratec] Headers or gut pre-cats are definitely not legal in any ST class

2. It appears that UIM, LIM, TB changes are not allowed! (bye bye any "upgraded" Non-SVT's!) This makes you all "Street Prepared" by default!

Any clarification here??? - Does "updating" legally include SVT parts if the engine & transmission are both the same (I.E. Duratec & MTX-75)

3. An aftermarket cat in the stock location does appear to be legal. However it makes you "STX"
No cat, of course, is not legal in any ST class.

Here is a website with a lot of good information on rules and such:

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/

As per 17.11 of the 2003 STX SCCA rules listed here:

High flow catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach within six inches of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters may be replaced by a single unit, provided the single unit is within six inches of the original primary unit. The resultant configuration must meet Federal emissions standards at normal vehicle operating temperature.

You are right however on the throttle body and intake (I kind of covered that in my first post under "more intake mods")...crappy wording, sorry. As far as the updating thing goes, sorry all you non SVT guys. Basically the update / backdate rule for stock and I assuming ST classes is as follows:

You have to change over everything that came standard on the vehicle. So basically to add the SVT engine components to your car you have to convert your car to a SVT. So you have to change the interior to the SVT's, you would have to add the SVT body panels...etc. It sucks yes, but those are the rules as far as stock goes.

If you are dealing with SP classes and updating and backdating, if the cars are listed on the same line in the rule book you can change a whole lot of stuff. Take for instance the 84-87 CRX's. 85-87 was the only year that the Si fuel injected engine was offered, 84 didn't have an Si, but since the 84 is listed on the same line you can drop an Si engine into the 84 (the lightest of any CRX).

Hope that helps.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Is not Street Modified a large notch above Street Prepared! As in pretty much anything goes category...

Well...yes and no. Street Prepared has not kept pace with the kinds of mods people do to their Street cars so SM is a good catch-all and for now, in this region, people are not building cars "to the rules". It's a fine place to find a turbo'd or supercharged civic next to a turbo'd neon (none here yet) or a tweaked M3 or a Mustang (or 6) and so on. It allows subrfame connectors, which ESP does not. It allows bushing type change, which ESP does not. It allows a lot more freedom in engine mods than ESP does, but ESP has been around a long time and the people who tend to run it have built their cars right to the rules. It's "CP light".

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
SP classes are a long ways from SM. Basically SM rules are:

1. Don't cut any sheet metal and use all stock mounting points.

2. Engine must be from same manufacturer (ie. Honda / Acura).

3. Has to be street legal (read registered).

4. Has to have a full interior I believe and there are certain weight restrictions based on displacement and drivetrain layout.

As you can see you can go pretty wild in SM. One reason a lot of people call it $M (dollar mod). Just as in any other form of racing to be competitive at the national level, or pro level, you have to have the car prepped to the max of the rules.

Now SP classes aren't cheap by any standards. But don't compare SP classes to SM. Whole different ball game. Again you can spend a fortune on a car getting it to be competitive.

Comparing CP to ESP also isn't valid. CP is pretty much a full on race car. As in any SP class you can't touch the internal engine unlike the P (prepared) classes. Plus in SP classes you have to keep full interiors, none of that fuel cell stuff like in P classes. Plus in prepared classes you can run full on racing slicks that aren't DOT approved tires.

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard