Next Thread
Print Thread
#584758 03/26/03 12:15 AM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
OK guys i have had this problem for about 3 weeks now and its driveing me Nuts. When my car gets to the O in Normal the car will start to studder/Jerk like crazy when i WOT from thew line, It will do this till about 5k then pull like crazy. When im going about 50/55 it will start Jerking once again. im only getting about 150-175 miles a Tank . it wont do it when it cold only when warm. Now i took it in to the dealer because i have a Extened warrenty and this is what they changed. Egr/ Egr sensor/ Maf/ Maf sensor. Now they have changed all these parts and the car is still actting up. I threw a Cel but it was for the Egr. I will still get a Flashing Cel here and there but it wont stay on for some freaking reason. Ohh i also took it to a Exhaust shop and had them test the precats and O2s and they said they were fine. Now Hector and myself were thinking about what else it can be and we came up with the idea of Maybe its the TPS?. I have a Svt Tb, When i got it it had 40+ miles on it and i put about 10 on that. I still have my Se Tps but im haveing a [censored] of a time getting it off my Se one yet alone the SVT one. Sorry for the long post, If anyone has any Ideas please post up. Thank you for your time.

Team Evo Staz: You know why they call it Skunkworks? Everyone: Why? Staz: Because everything that comes out of it stinks!!! Steeda-I hate you stazi
#584759 03/26/03 02:26 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Try your fuel pump, or your fuel pump screen.

There are symptoms of studdering/stalling when the pump/screen is bad. It will NORMALLY be more pronounced when the car is less than 1/4 tank, but that is not a definite, I suppose.

If the studdering is a more "steady" rate, but it isn't "steady", if that makes sense.. like..

steady as in.. "always there", under certain conditions. (heavy acceleration)

but not "steady" as in "a repetitive rate, like every .5 sec, or anything.

It could be plugs/wires... When is the last time you changed them/those? What type? did you gap them yourself? are they double platinums?

How long has the problem been there? ( I know, 2-3 weeks, but did it just "appear" there, or did it just get NOTICEABLY worse in the past 3 weeks?

To reiterate:

problem possibilities:
fuel pump
fuel screen
plugs
wires

Things to do/check:
fill the tank (eliminate the pump part)

check under hood for white "rings" on your wires, signs of arcs coming through the rubber.. or for sparks arcing to the chassis/engine at night.

check your plugs.. should be free of oil/gunk..

HTH
and let me know what you find out.. I am anxious to know what happens..

Ray
PM me if needed..

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#584760 03/26/03 03:00 AM
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
ditto my car did the same thing, my fuel pump was bad.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
#584761 03/26/03 10:54 AM
N
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
N
Fuel pump housing filter is clogged. The problem get worse the less fuel you have in the tank.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=227331&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

#584762 03/26/03 12:09 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:
I will still get a Flashing Cel here and there but it wont stay on for some freaking reason.

If you are getting a flashing CEL, it means that you one or more of your cylinders are missing. The code should be stored in the computer. Suggest that you get the code read as soon as possible to determine which cylinder(s) is(are) having the problem.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
#584763 03/26/03 02:55 PM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Originally posted by GeoPappas:
Originally posted by I-Dom-In-8:
I will still get a Flashing Cel here and there but it wont stay on for some freaking reason.

If you are getting a flashing CEL, it means that you one or more of your cylinders are missing. The code should be stored in the computer. Suggest that you get the code read as soon as possible to determine which cylinder(s) is(are) having the problem.

I already had it scanned and the dealer said they cant find it with the scanner.

As far as how much gas i have in the car it does it when its full/half/ and almost empty.

Chris i think it could be the fuel pump i will ask them to check it out next time i take it in which will be Monday.

Ray Thanks for some of the advice, These are some other things i have done to the car. Changed the fuel filter about 5-6 months ago, Changed my wires(ford 9MM) and plugs(autolights not double platinums) about a year ago. But you are correct about it studdering sometime and sometimes not. It will do it only on certain points. I also want to add another problem i noticed today(just started this morning) When i get on it off the line it will studder when it gets to 4+k it will pull fine but Now the Battery light will go on until it shifts(into 3rd). Once it shifts it wont come back on. I dont know what to do or even think now. I just hope the dealer can fix it. Thank you to those who are helping me out.

Edit= ray i forgot to mention that the problem just came outta no wear. I had filled up my tank(Movil 89) on a friday then went home(1 mile). On saturday i had to go to the airport(5 miles) to pick up my brother when all of sudden it started actting up.

Last edited by I-Dom-In-8; 03/26/03 03:01 PM.

Team Evo Staz: You know why they call it Skunkworks? Everyone: Why? Staz: Because everything that comes out of it stinks!!! Steeda-I hate you stazi
#584764 03/26/03 03:05 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
High Volyage ignition leak can cause the computer to become confused. You said you didn't have double plat plugs.

I think the earlier response is on track. Check your plug wires and plugs. Could be loose plug wire, the wire may be pulled out of the boot, a wire may be rubbing and leaking volts. Also, check that no low volt wiring is near the plug wires. An induced current can confuse the computer.

My name is Richard. I was a Contouraholic. NOW: '02 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Black BEFORE: '99 Contour SE Sport Duratec ATX Spruce Green PIAA 510's, Foglight MOD, K&N Drop-in
#584765 04/02/03 12:41 AM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
I
K guys update time. Carmax to me to get [censored], They said they cant find the problem and to take it to a ford Dealer. hahahahahah I want my car back

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard