Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#579630 05/22/03 11:55 AM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Even if you are passing, by law you cannot exceed the speed limit.

The only excuse that works is heart attack, pregnant wife, I was shot, etc. Even then, a JP can lay a fine regardless.

Police offices keep detailed notes on what happened. Don't think he won't "remember" whatever occured.

RADAR guns are tested every single day, by each officer who uses it. They are also checked after lunch, so twice per shift.

Since you don't have a lawyer, try to have your amount over lowered. If they convict you for the full offence you will pay triple whatever you do now for insurance. Talk to the Crown and you might get lucky.

It's too bad you didn't get a lawyer - if the cop lost sight of you I believe you may have gotten off since he could not prove it was you that he saw passing cars (unless you admitted to it when he pulled you over).

IF IT REALLY WAS 5 MINUTES LATER THAT HE PULLED YOU OVER, THE OFFICER HAS NO WAY TO PROVE IT WAS YOU! IF YOU DID NOT ADMIT TO THE OFFENCE ASK HIM TO PROVE IT WAS YOU THAT HE SAW.

ASK TO READ THE OFFICER'S NOTES BEFORE HE IS ALLOWED TO PRESENT THEM TO YOU! IT IS CALLED "DISCOVERY". ASK THE JP FOR TIME TO REVIEW HIS NOTES, YOU MAY GET AN EXTENSION!

Best of Luck!

#579631 05/22/03 07:02 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
well courts over, just what I had expected/hoped for. I went from losing my license to losing 4 demerits and a $300 fine. Very doable in my mind. My insurance will not triple! I do not know of anyone paying 27000 (yes three 0's) per year!

My insurance is due to be lowered next month (technically not until it is up which is august). And this ticket may have an outcome of it staying higher then expected. paying approx 9100 per year is highway robery, tho its better then the 10200 i was paying last year!

Speeding does not pay, I was speeding, I was honest, I plead guilty. I still have my license = I can drive =

2005 Focus ST
#579632 05/22/03 09:14 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Good since you didn't get your licence taken away we should meet. Freak, I haven't seen your car yet and wanted to hear the exhaust.
I think we should do it one day soon.
Peace

1997 T-Red Contour V-6 MTX It HaS BeGuN!!!!!!!!!!!
#579633 05/23/03 03:22 AM
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by advocate:
well courts over, just what I had expected/hoped for. I went from losing my license to losing 4 demerits and a $300 fine. Very doable in my mind. My insurance will not triple! I do not know of anyone paying 27000 (yes three 0's) per year!

My insurance is due to be lowered next month (technically not until it is up which is august). And this ticket may have an outcome of it staying higher then expected. paying approx 9100 per year is highway robery, tho its better then the 10200 i was paying last year!

Speeding does not pay, I was speeding, I was honest, I plead guilty. I still have my license = I can drive =

I think if I was told to pay $9000/yr for insurance I'd stop driving. What the hell have you done to get the privledge of paying that much for insurance? The price is obscene.

Hopefully you've learned your lesson. People like me, that are older, and have a good driving record pay $800/yr for full coverage. That should be motivation enough for you to make some changes to your driving habits.

Lardy.

Previous owner of a 99 Mystique V6 MTX Black Current owner of a 2004 Maxima SE MTX Silver Forsale: Yakima roof rack. Q-towers, bars, clips, locks. Good condition.
#579634 05/23/03 03:58 AM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
glad you didn't loose your license, $300 got hurt but at least you can still drive.
howcome your insurance is so high I can't understand that, you should shop around. I'm 24 and i'm paying $800/yr, last year i was paying $600. I speed but no demerits, all photo radar.

The-Ghost: "Radar guns should be tested daily but they are not, my friend is a special constable "soon to become a cop", sometimes they go weeks before they are tested especially in small towns. Advocate was caught on the highway out of town, most likely small town Alberta"' so most likely the gun wasn't calibrated."

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#579635 05/23/03 04:23 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by lardy:
Originally posted by advocate:

I think if I was told to pay $9000/yr for insurance I'd stop driving. What the hell have you done to get the privledge of paying that much for insurance? The price is obscene.

Hopefully you've learned your lesson. People like me, that are older, and have a good driving record pay $800/yr for full coverage. That should be motivation enough for you to make some changes to your driving habits.

Lardy.

$9000 a year is CRAZY!! Before I bought my Mystique, I checked for prices on full coverage on a 1998 Honda Civic Si, 2 door. I just turned 20 at the time, and it was gonna cost $4300 for total coverage, in my own name and with the car in my name. You must have a bad driving record to be paying that much.
On a lighter note, my insurance went down $700 this year.

1996 MM Zetec, ATX 192000 kms...not dead, but I'm not fixing it White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.
#579636 05/23/03 04:44 AM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
cost is obscene for me. id have a house by now if it werent for insurance.

i was in an accident almost 3 years ago (will be 3 yrs on June 6th). was my fault - pulled out in front of a car, supposedly i had time to make it... but didnt.. i dont remember it much at all. not sure if the car died, or clutch slipped or what. but i was t-boned by an ex cop driving a dodge ram doing about 70.

totalled my car (no collision insurance) and the guy milked it for what it was worth.

had some people who didnt like me write police reports that were bunk just to get at me.

was charged with undue care and attention. - got a lawyer was supposed to have it dropped so a much smaller traffic violation.... got a call one day saying i was supposed to be in court the next day tho my court date was not until 2 more months. my lawyer went for me and gave me the bad news.

apparently someone decided to look over my case and up the anti a bit due to the reports written about me - dangerous driving! and failed to let me know about it... so eventually i go to court on my original date and plead guilty but at a lower charge (to save from going to jail). we took undue care and attention (which originally was to be dropped) with a fine close to $1500 and a suspension of my license for 60 days. no demerits.

first year back my insurance company dropped me. stayed with the same broker who got me in with another company but at a rate of $10200 a year (not able to break it into payments - 1 payment only

next year i said f-u broker [censored] and shopped around. best price i got was $1500 down and $635 a month totalling $9120. thats with full coverage (no glass) and only 500,000 liability...

sorry for the long post... will follow up with an accident pic... its pretty bad so keep children away from the computer and if your a fainter lie down first - jk its not that bad...

2005 Focus ST
#579637 05/23/03 04:53 AM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A

my seat was ripped right out from the floor. door unopenable until i had my dad and 2 brother pry it open with crow bars (all of them over 200 lbs). the passenger side rippled in the impact. steering wheel was not so much of a circle anymore. 2 of the tires were ripped from the rims. everything inside the car died including my cdplayer deck (parts from the inside shattered).

i was ok other then the missing memory, concusion (sp?), few lumps on the head stiches, and the half jar of glass that they plucked out of my face.

take notes - this is whats needed to be amongst the highest insurance payer's in alberta. i know people who were convicted with drunk driving who get insurance cheaper then me.

2005 Focus ST
#579638 05/23/03 05:14 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Damn dude it is a wonder you weren't killed in that accident. You must be one lucky mofo. Sucks about your insurance though. It seems that insurance companies have a photographic memory about anything that has happened over the course of your driving career. They never remember the years of good driving you had before. My only advice is to never ever speed again, and be super extra careful when pulling into a roadway. But I guess you know that by now.

1996 MM Zetec, ATX 192000 kms...not dead, but I'm not fixing it White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.
#579639 05/24/03 12:05 AM
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by abwamo:

The-Ghost: "Radar guns should be tested daily but they are not, my friend is a special constable "soon to become a cop", sometimes they go weeks before they are tested especially in small towns. Advocate was caught on the highway out of town, most likely small town Alberta"' so most likely the gun wasn't calibrated."

Most "radar guns" have a self test routine for calibration. It can be run in a few seconds. If the officer is out doing mainly traffic for a few hours they often test them after each traffic stop. There are tuning forks in every vehicle for testing as well. So there are multiple tests for the units. I've rarely heard of them going out of calibration. It does happen but nowhere near as often as all of you are hoping for. I've been told that when it does happen the damn thing gives you wacky readings like 240kph for a car that isn't going over 50kph. Its pretty obvious its not working right.

Lardy.

Previous owner of a 99 Mystique V6 MTX Black Current owner of a 2004 Maxima SE MTX Silver Forsale: Yakima roof rack. Q-towers, bars, clips, locks. Good condition.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard