Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#579620 03/20/03 12:23 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
So I got my first speeding ticket yesterday. Was only a matter of time, but really I dont speed all the time.

I was driving on the highway and decided to pass 2 cars, so I nail it, pass both of them get back in the lane and cruise at that speed for a moment when I see a cop drive toward me, we were talking in the car at the time and didnt notice him soon enough.

I'm thinking "no biggie he was going the other way".. so 5 mins later I turn into a small town to grab some goodies for the road trip and have lights and sirens behind me.

I pull over, cop was pissed, took my info and went to his car for quite some time. When he came back he gave me a ticket and that was it. The ticket tho wasnt just a speeding ticket for x amount of $. It was a summons to go to court.

He clocked me at 155. So it looks like I'll have a not so smooth ride coming up here.

It is my own fault, I'll be the first to admit. But jeez does it ever suck, I would have rather gotten a big ticket and paid it and been done with.

2005 Focus ST
#579621 03/20/03 08:53 PM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
sorry to hear that
I can't even think of a way to fight the ticket, but it looks like you will need a lawyer or good-bye drivers...

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#579622 03/21/03 03:11 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Perhaps a hefty fine and a mandatory safe drivers course will be what you will get in court!

I'm not sure if the cops still issue such demands before getting your drivers licence back.

Anyways, good luck and keep us informed as to what happens in court.

Stephen

96 Contour, GL, Zetec, ATX. 03/18/1996 Build Date. Drop in K&N NGK Laser Platinum Premium Spark plugs Niehoff Premium Ignition wires Wheel Well Air Intake Resonator removed. *Just the beginning* 2000 Windstar SEL K&N Air filter
#579623 03/21/03 09:33 AM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
just explain that you had just passed a car and were decelerating (unless you had cruised a bit more than you should have at passing speeds) Everybody who has ever driven has gone "dangerous speeds" while passing, you kind of have to. You'll likely get another fine ontop of that and some points against you license.

If you weren't just finished passing a car, and the cop knows this for sure, you might lose your license or have to retake your drivers (they try to fail you the second time through)

My friend didn't get his license until he was 20 The day he got it he got a ticket for speeding (10 over) and from that day on he drove like a grandpa. Unfortunately his car was a POS and he got several tickets for it, which caused him to lose his license. now it will cost him over $300 to renew, and he has to retake his road test.

I've been really lucky so far, I was clocked at 178kph in a 60kph road (traffic light headed out of Edmonton towards Alberta Beach) It was early in the morning on a sunday. It was the first time I ever really opened up the car. There was only me and a black truck which seemed to be keeping up really well although towards the end I was pulling away. I kept going until I bouced off the govenor, at which point a light bar popped out of the truck's grille and the rearview mirrors started flashing red and blue. It was a drug Cop's truck I pulled over and he came up, chewed me out for a good 5 minutes, then decided to give me a break and write me 3 tickets for different violations, totalling $387 and change. He could have arrested me but he had "more important things to do than deal with idiots like you" I said thank you so many times my throat was sore.

That was my last "race" and I never went more that 1kph over any posted limit again for a long long time. I also slow down for black trucks when I'm in Edmonton now...

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003
#579624 03/21/03 04:49 PM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Call the Case Manager!!!!

Let me say it again:
Call the Case Manager!!!!

I got a speeding ticket last November, and I just went to court last week. When I received my trial date in the mail, there was a phone number on it to contact the Case Manager to "discuss a resolution" before going to court. So, rather than pay the $450 to get X-Coppers to represent me, I just called up the Case Manager. I didn't have to say a word about a possible defence - he simply made me an offer right over the phone - knocked it down to 15kmh over and no points (from 30kmh over and 4 points) and I had to show up and plead guilty. That's it! ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE THAT WAS IN COURT WITH ME GOT SIMILAR DEALS! This is an absolute scam! They are so backed up they're cutting deals left and right to save time, and when you're just showing up to plead guilty, the Cop doesn't need to be there (more $$$ saved) so they are quite willing to make deals!

CALL THE CASE MANAGER!

1999 Red / Tan SVT #1969 of 2760 Built 4/21/99 K&N, DMD, FMS Wires, ES Insert / Bushings, PF End Links 17" FSVT 5-Spokes Factory Spoiler 35% Tint All Around
#579625 03/21/03 08:25 PM
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
geez i wish we had case managers here in america, would make our lives easier!

Jason 00 Audi S4, 2.7 Bi-turbo quattro 01 S10 Xtreme, 4.3l 98' Contour SE with some mods 96 Cavalier (beater)
#579626 03/29/03 03:15 AM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
have been trying to talk to the crown prosecuter about it. i will be going to see them next thursday to see if we can "negotiate" to something a little less. im hoping for 40 over (rather then 55), 4 demerits and maybe defensive driving + fine. Thats sumthin i can deal with.

2005 Focus ST
#579627 05/21/03 03:33 PM
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
sorry to drag up an old post but tomorrow morning is my court date for my speeding ticket. I will be there well over 90 mins early to "renegotiate" with the crown. since its not in the city there is no "J.P.". im hoping to drop it down, im still in the wrong and will/should pay for it but i want it to be reasonable.

with the new traffic regulations it does not look good for me. just think the new regulations became a law 1 day before my court date. i just hope they dont try to make an example of me..

if its too bad the car may have to go... we'll see tho.

going in by myself, no money = no lawyer. will have updates after court...

2005 Focus ST
#579628 05/21/03 09:19 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Good luck man. Keep us posted.

1997 T-Red Contour V-6 MTX It HaS BeGuN!!!!!!!!!!!
#579629 05/22/03 02:03 AM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
you can always uses this "I'm guilty for speeding but not guilty for going as fast as the ticket states", admit that you were breaking the law but not to the extent that the police officer claims.
say that you were only doing 125-130 and ask the crown to drop the ticket for that speed, trust me they will try to avoid going to court if they can. At the same time you can start asking for records of when the radar gun was last caliprated and if the officer has documents showing the training needed to use the gun. Unless you have a better idea i would use these things to bring the fine down or dropped.
you might get lucky and the cop doesn't show up.
good luck man

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard