Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
If so is it hard? I'm thinking of doing it this summer but have no idea what to do about it. I dont want to be ripping things apart and not be able to ge them back on.

1997 T-Red Contour V-6 MTX It HaS BeGuN!!!!!!!!!!!
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Dude,

Don't mean to tread into your geographical area, but I have, and its easy. The most important thing is to take your time, and lay out everything as you take it off in order, or put the bolts back in their place as you undo everything. It really all comes off easily, and goes bacl together just as easily. The hardest part is the IMRC cable at the bottom and the throttle bracket/cables on top. The rest is just patience and order. To make your life real easy...use the proper fuel line tool and disconect it, so that the fuel rail can be removed with the LIM. The injectors won't be dirty anyways...lotsa detergents in gas. The major thing is all the carbon and crud in the LIM/UIM and TB. You'll need some xelene...some mineral spirits, a small copper brush...and lotsa elbow grease. A dremel here and there would work great. It took me 8 hours, but 1/2 that time was removing carbon.

Just a little FYI...

A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
I'm planning to clean mine too later this summer.
Reading the "how to" in the modifications section made me want to delay the fix to save a little money to buy all the gaskets and seals(~$200CND) and find the time needed to finish the whole job in one day. It doesn't look too bad if you get organized. Download the "how to" and read it, or if you want I can lend you my "Chiltons Repair manual" pretty much the same thing as in the "how to" section. If you have a digital camera it really helps, take pics before you start taking things apart. SO if you forget, you'll have something to look at to refresh your memory.

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
It's fairly straightforward and takes an afternoon.

A few things:

Don't overtighten the bolts holding the UIM on they snap like twigs (they are not steel)

I was told not to use a carb cleaner for the LIM because it will eay any seals it touches.

Don't get in a big hurry, let everything dry really well before you re-install it.

Make sure you reconnect everything before you restart the car, check every connection, then check it all again. I missed one connection behind the engine that I coudn't see and the car ran like ass for a week until I realised my mistake.

You shouldn't have any problems, and you will notice much improved power acress the band after cleaning all the gunk out.

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I have done it 5 or 6 times to a few different Contours and Cougars. It's very easy, but time consuming. Make sure you have a torque wrench. As Monkey mentioned the studs snap very easily (broken 3 on my own car) and are also easy to cross-thread.

I don't know about using a dremel with an electric motor spewing sparks out over an engine full of fuel vapour. It's up to you, but not something I'd try. Definitely buy 2 or three cans of throttle body cleaner.

M
I am Canuckian
I am Canuckian
M
Dana, Your alive!!!! come back and post in the Eastern Canada we all miss you very much. How went the move?

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard