Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
try the wiper relay under the sterring wheel

98.5 SVT CONTOUR silver 17 inch millenium grey rim's and touring wing lowered and custom interior paint intake and gage pods and exaust and so on and so on
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Check the voltage of the system while starting the engine. If it drops below 9 volts you either still have a battery problem or a wiring bug or a starter draw problem. It is dropping so low that it is triggering the intermitent wiper circuit.

K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Thanks alot for all those suggestions, I'll be sure to have the mechanic check them all out. My gut still tells me that its the alternator because the problem started when I picked up my car at the Alt repair shop. Thanks again, will let you guys know what the findings are.

Green 96 Contour GL ATX 2.0 L Zetec 16 V
S
S
I have had this same problem with my 97 Mystique. My battery died and when I would boost the car the wipers would come on every time, put in a new battery and car has been good sence.

shrouded by " MYSTIQUE "
K
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
K
Hi, its me again. We seemed to have narrowed my wiper problem to the alternator. The mechanic recently told me that when he was fixing my alternator that he noticed a 175 amp fuse leading to the alternator that was blown. He said that he bridged it with a copper wire (the white wire). My question now is, is there really a 175 amp fuse that leads to alternator and could that bridge be the cause of my wipers coming on. Possible Alternator Fuse

Thanks Kevin

Green 96 Contour GL ATX 2.0 L Zetec 16 V
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Post by cowgod on 05/15 @ 11:45pm transferred from now deleted thread.

Originally posted by cowgod:
Bypassing any fuse is a very bad idea. Get that fuse replaced properly, even if it is not the cause of your problem. Your mechanic is a bonehead for bridging it.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Post by Rogerm60 05/16 @ 2:04am, transferred from now deleted thread.

Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Yes there is an alternator fuse.

The wiper problem is likely just from voltage fluxuation.

You need a complete starting and charging test.

In lieu of that, for now, check batery cables (both ends), distribution wiring by the battery, and grounds.

Bad wiring to the battery from the starter will cause a large voltage dip when cranking, and positive voltage spikes when turning accessories off. As the manuals now say not to run the car without a battery - and bad battery wiring is almost the same thing. You run the risk of burning up your electronics.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by bozman:
try the wiper relay under the sterring wheel

My thought, exactly.

Recent experience with a different wiper problem (and a combination of archive info and current info, courtesy DemonSVT) led me to the R15 relay in the underdash drop-down panel. It's prone to sticking.

Pulling the relay, opening it up by decoupling the casing with multiple jeweler's screwdrivers, and giving it a real quick top and bottom spray with a dry-film lube (Amsoil MP, in my case) corrected the problem. The relay is good as gold -- well, copper -- again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard