Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by sordz:
this is going to be sweet! im callin the dealer monday to see if i can get the caliper brackets. what are we talkin about shims(just washers) and ill only need 4 right? or what?

I can't vouch for the exact size of the shim required, as I did not measure; though by all appearances, whatever other folks are using for the SVT Focus calipers complete for this swap, should work the same.

Now, just a little warning for you guys considering doing this. When you shim a caliper out on its mount, you make the mount less rigid. The caliper is now cantilevered out on the mounting bolts, making it more likely to flex about a line going through both mounting bolts. What this can cause is excessive DTV. DTV stands for disc thickness variation, and a lot of people will mistake a rotor with excessive DTV for a warped rotor, though not that it makes much difference to most people a the end result is the same (buying a new rotor, or possibly having the old one turned)

DTV can be caused by one pad on a caliper dragging on the rotor more than the other pad on the same caliper during normal driving (ie not while you are actually braking) and it sort of grinds away more of the rotor on one side, making the thickness of the disc different on one side vs. the other.

To make a long story short, it could lead to shorter life of your rotors and pads than would normally be expected.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
well i called the dealer and he said that it looks like the caliper bolts to the knucle assy there is no bracket. i tried telling him there has to be a bracket, right? well in any case it doesnt look like it is a seperate part that is available...unless there is a part number on the bracket. is there a part number?

2004 silver srt-4 with some mods(FOR SALE) ;-) 1998 t-red CSVT stock and beat up :-( 1997 z24 cavalier with some mods(FOR SALE) :-? old ride- 98 Silver CSVT with some mods ;-)
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I am almost positive the caliper and bracket have one part number cause they are one piece. Bill jenkins gave me the following numbers back in the summer when i bought mine:

2M5Z2B120AA 97.56 r/f caliper

2M5Z2B121AA 97.56 l/f caliper

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Great!!!!

This is what i need. I tried getting part numbers on FSVT brackets two days ago but they aren't listing any part numbers? What is our next step?
I need these brakes fixed asap so I am eagerly trying to figure out how to get those brackets and bigger rotors.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
like i said, i dont' think you can get the brackets seperate. bill will let you return your stock calipers as a core exchange. so for $260, you get new rotors AND calipers and pads.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
like i said, i dont' think you can get the brackets seperate. bill will let you return your stock calipers as a core exchange. so for $260, you get new rotors AND calipers and pads.

whoah, where can you get a set of front SVT Focus rotors for $60????? Sounds like a deal. That is assuming the calipers cost what you posted previously . . .

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by Rara:
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:

whoah, where can you get a set of front SVT Focus rotors for $60????? Sounds like a deal. That is assuming the calipers cost what you posted previously . . .

Am I missing something here? Brian, he said $260! I only know of one person that can get a deal like that... Oh, its not me!

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
The one person who can get them for $260 is a 2FastTypeR. Everyone else gets them for $360, correct me if I am wrong here (I want to be wrong)

Geoff C. Turner 99 Black SVT -mine 99 Blue SE V6 ATX -mom's 96 Black SE MTX -sister's All with 278mm front rotors
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Originally posted by geoffct:
The one person who can get them for $260 is a 2FastTypeR. Everyone else gets them for $360, correct me if I am wrong here (I want to be wrong)

I am pretty certain Chris (Greatone) and I got them for about $360, I just need to find my receipt to confirm. Actually, I know I posted a price breakdown awhile ago.

S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
Oh, a FYI for everyone contemplating the FSVT swap, I would go ahead and order 4x W500443-S426. Those are the longer mounting bolts I used to mount the calipers to the hub. You don't really need them as the OE bolts are long enough, I'm just really anal and wanted a 3mm longer bolt to take the place of the almost 3mm washer put in between the hub and caliper.

Edit:
Of course, a big thanks goes to Brian for finding the correct part numbers and Bill J. for finding them in the catalog, as they had to be cross-referenced a wacky way!

Last edited by Shaggy; 04/05/03 02:07 AM.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard