Next Thread
Print Thread
#570539 03/12/03 06:55 AM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
A
With the cold weather we were having I was using the timer start at night so I donā??t have to plug it in. But my mileage dropped from 450kms to the tank down to 320kms, and gas isn't cheap. I fill up my tank yesterday for $40.
So lately I started plugging the car instead of using the timer, but Iā??m not sure if itā??s good to start the car while itā??s plugged. So today I run out to unplug the car before I started my car, it was kind of funny standing a meter from the car when I used the remote to start the car.
Having to run outside to unplug the car beats the whole idea of having an auto starter.
Does anyone know if itā??s bad to the engine to start the car when itā??s plugged in?

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat
#570540 03/12/03 07:55 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
i dont think so, its only a block heater. cant see it doing any harm. and jeez i only wish to get 450kms in the winter...

2005 Focus ST
#570541 03/12/03 07:43 PM
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I have always had my car plugged in and started my car with the starter and never had any conflicts before. And I asked one of my installers about that same question and he said it doesn't do any harm. The only thing that will do harm to your car is having the heater set at full when you start your car. He said you should have it set at 1/4 to 1/2 and never past that when you first start your car. Having it set past that really puts strain on your motor.

1997 T-Red Contour V-6 MTX It HaS BeGuN!!!!!!!!!!!
#570542 03/12/03 10:39 PM
A
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by advocate:
I donā??tt think so, its only a block heater. cant see it doing any harm. and jeez i only wish to get 450kms in the winter...

over half of the 320kms was highway driving, I should have got at least 450kms out of a full tank on mixed driving.
Trujap I know about the heater thatā??s why I set at halfway, actually if I was starting it in person I usually turn all accessories off.
But I was told by somone before that leaving it plugged while running is not good for the motor. I thought I better ask around to confirm with you guys. Next time i get my oil changed i'll ask the techs at Ford about it. But for now I see less harm done by having the oil thinner when starting, than starting the car in the morning without plugging it the night before at all.

95 SE MTX DH UIM, 65mm TB, SC CAI, Quaife, Centerforce, Fidanza, UR Pulley, F/R Strut Braces, Cross Drilled Rotors, S.S. Brake Hoses, 18" Enkei RS5, SVT Engine Mounts+Inserts, MSDS & y-pipe, Trubendz resonated exhaust & MagnaFlow cat

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard