Originally posted by JETNBYA:

So what are the best? What are the costs of the 2? I am using E1 stock wheels for auto-x and some open track, and have to get new race tires, so what are your best suggestions---brand and size?

Jim

Lets start with my pick on size. I'd suggest 225/50/16's on all the V6 Contours. Why? Because that is the closest size to stock. I know you're saying, "What about 205/45/16's?" I'd say that would be a good option if, our gearing sucked (which it doesn't), or our cars weighed under 2700lbs (which they don't).

Ok now for the tires.

Hoosier A3S03 225/50/16 - $191 (Heat Cycled)

These are great tires. They lack a little in straight line traction compared to the others, but once hot they will hold in the corners better then any other DOT legal tire. They have incredibly stiff sidewalls and are the lightest, due to their fiberglass belt construction, then any of the other tires. They don't last long at all due to their soft compound and they have the least tread of all the tires with just 4/32nd's tread. I believe you will need spacers to fit these on the car without major rubbing issues. These tires are WIDE! Hoosiers shine on concrete! These CANNOT be run on the street at all. That is one reason why I put the heat cycled price on this tire.

Kumho Victoracers 225/50/16 - $130 (Full Tread) $145 (Heat Cycled or Shaved)

These are what I currently run. Good straight line traction and great life. The problem with these are the sidewalls. I compensate with extra air pressure, running up in the mid 40's on asphault. They give up some grip to the Hoosiers, but are still A LOT stickier then any street tire. You can drive to events on these tires, though that adds heat cycles which starts killing traction. You can fit these without major rubbing issues, they will rub in hard corners though. I'd recommend these if you are running a lot of autox's and 1-2 track days a year.

Kumho Ecsta V700's 225/50/16 - $128 (Full Tread - WET ONLY) $143 (Heat Cycled or Shaved) $158 (Heat Cycled and Shaved)

These wear a little faster then the Victoracers and have a sharper sidewall. The sharper sidewall gives them the ability to hold at the edge longer, but once it gives way it is harder to regain traction. Great all around tire, I'd rank it right with the V700 and could be my next pick in tires. Supposedly they are saying that you have to shave these tires to use them in the dry or you'll get excessive wear, I'd believe it. One nice thing about the tread design is you can rotate the tire from outside to inside throughout the year to increase life. These will fit without major rubbing issues, but will rub in hard cornering. Again, these are for the person running a lot of autox's and 1-2 track days a year.

Yokohama A032R's 225/50/16 - $165 (Full Tread)

These tires will not die! They can go through tons of heat cycles and still maintain good traction. They don't hold as well as the Kumho's, but the last easily twice as long. They are a great track tire. These should fit without major rubbing, but they might rub in hard corners like the Kumhos. If you're doing more then 2 track days a year I think these are the tires for you!

As you can tell I like the Kumhos. They give you great traction and life at a good price. Hoosiers give you incredible traction and low life at a high price. Yokohama gives you unbeatable life, but sacrafices traction to do so. If you've never been on race tires before, even the Yokohama's will bring a smile to your face. Judge your budget and determine what type of performance driving you want to do.

Here are some comparison pics between the size difference of the Hoosiers compared to the others:

225 Hoosier vs. 225 Kumho V700

Stack of (2) 205 Victoracers + (2) 225 V700's on the left
Stack of (2) 205 Hoosiers + (2) 225 Hoosiers in the center
Stack of (4) 205 Yokohama's on the right

Note the difference between the Kumhos and the Hoosiers even though they are rated at the same width!

Hope this helps guys!

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph