Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I have a 99 SVT with BAT springs, adjustable Konis, 21mm sway bar, caster/camber adjusters, and Falken Azeni tires.

What should I set the strut rebound to for optimal autocrossing? Any other recommendations? For the record, I'm going to be competing in Street Tire Stock...

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Well not knowing what the BAT handling kit is like I'd suggest going with full soft - 1/4 turn up (out of 2 full turns) up front. In the rear I'd probably do 1/2-3/4 of a turn up. That should give you a good starting point.

Tire pressures I'd suggest is 46/36-38 F/R. Go with 36 if you like the car loose, 38 if you want it more under control in the rear.

Camber I'd go with -1.5 to -2 up front depending on how easy it is to adjust back to street setup. And probably -1 degrees out back.

Here's a question for you though, how can you run in street tire stock when you have a rear bar, aftermarket springs, caster/camber adjusters? Check again, but I have a feeling you're going to be running in STS instead.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Qbert:
Here's a question for you though, how can you run in street tire stock when you have a rear bar, aftermarket springs, caster/camber adjusters? Check again, but I have a feeling you're going to be running in STS instead.

Yeah, I realized after posting that I meant STS...

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I had the BAT springs, and they are pretty soft. I would go a little stiffer on the Konis. And if you are running in STS, I believe you can use race tires. I highly reccomend it! Also, let me know what you think of the camber adjusters, I have them and I am not too happy. The only thing holding the strut in the tower is that cheesy aluminum plate on top.

Jim

98.5 SVT, Vortech SC, Bassani, Quaiffe, Clutchmasters Stg. 3, H&R's/Konis, BAT 22mm Sway Bar, 17" Momo Arrows, Michelin Pilot Sports, Sparco Front Brace, HPP Rear Brace, PIAA fogs & headlights.
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
The only reason I suggest staying so low on the Koni's is, Koni statets on their website that unless you're running a fully prepped racing setup, you should probably won't use more then 1 turn. Koni's are already incredibly stiffly valved. I've read somewhere that they are valved to handle 450-500 lb-in springs at the maximum setting, don't know what they are valved to for the minimum setting though (that would be good to find out).

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
My car is set up with stock springs and a 24mm tubular rear sway bar (aussie bar). I also have the konis and the Falken Azenis tires. (STS)

My fastest setup has been full soft in front and full stiff in rear with the tires inflated to 41 or 42 psi front and rear. Setting the konis up this way makes the car very tossable in transitions, and it doesn't have to be driven quite as carefully to avoid understeer. The aussie bar makes it quite neutral in steady state cornering.

Any time I set up the front stiffer than the rear, all I get is push, push, push, unless I am extremely careful on turn in. It also exhibits some spooky handling characteristics at higher speeds. I recommend never running the rears softer than the front.

Your fastest settings may be different since everyones preferences and driving styles are different.

This setup is also very neutral, and more importantly, easy to drive (predictable) on a road course.

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by JETNBYA:
And if you are running in STS, I believe you can use race tires. I highly reccomend it!

You can't. STS is just a step up from stock, it's designed for younger crowd with lightly modded sport compacts.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Best tires for STS or STX are Falken Azenis Sports, hands down, without a doubt!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by Stazi the Aussie:
Best tires for STS or STX are Falken Azenis Sports, hands down, without a doubt!

You could argue that. BFG KD's beat them in a Grassroots Motorsports comparison. I've also heard that in cold weather S-03's are faster. The person that said the S-03's were faster said there was one other tire besides the KD's that were faster then the Azenis also, but would not divulge the information (national champion mentallity ). This is from a reputable source that has done testing with all of these tires.

Would I buy any of these other tires over Azenis? NO, unless I was running for a national championship. Kind of like my arguement between Hoosiers and Kumhos. Why waste the money for local events. Even then on our cars you would be hard pressed to convince me that Hoosiers are the better choice (ie. less straight line traction then the Kumhos and would get burned off really quickly).

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Qbert:
Kind of like my arguement between Hoosiers and Kumhos. Why waste the money for local events. Even then on our cars you would be hard pressed to convince me that Hoosiers are the better choice (ie. less straight line traction then the Kumhos and would get burned off really quickly).

So what are the best? What are the costs of the 2? I am using E1 stock wheels for auto-x and some open track, and have to get new race tires, so what are your best suggestions---brand and size?

Jim

98.5 SVT, Vortech SC, Bassani, Quaiffe, Clutchmasters Stg. 3, H&R's/Konis, BAT 22mm Sway Bar, 17" Momo Arrows, Michelin Pilot Sports, Sparco Front Brace, HPP Rear Brace, PIAA fogs & headlights.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard