Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I had my whole Brake system redone with KVR cross drilled and Carbon Fiber pads in April of 2002. That was about 6,000 miles ago and just today I was driving with my windows down and heard a little sqeak when I hit the brakes. I know nothin about brakes except that sqeaks are not good. So I fugured I need to replace the pads. My question is, should I replace the pads with the same KVR Carbon Fibers or should I use another brand? Thanks

RamMotorsports Lowest prices on SPEC Clutches and Flywheels
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
New pads after 6,000 miles??? I'd check the wear level before ordering new pads and if they're fine then try an "emergency stop" to clean the pads of the glaze that are probably causing the noise.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Its not your pads unless you drive like a lunatic. Your carbon fiber pads will last a very long time. I have the same KVR. It seems they sqeak from time to time. Mine will do them for a few hundred miles, then will stop, then start up again. It should go away. You can also try and put some anti squeal stuff between the pads the caliper. They sell it at any place who sells brake parts.

00 Black SVT #1545 Ground Control. Koni. 18 Konig Tantrum. More.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Some brake noise is completely normal. With high performance pads, it is even more likely. Inspect your brakes to be sure, but if you still have lots of lining remaining, forgetaboutit.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by SVTCuervo:
I know nothin about brakes except that sqeaks are not good.

Brought to you by your local Midas, trying to sell you new brakes.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Squeaking just means that something is vibrating. A pretty normal consequence of pushing a non-moving object (brake pad) against a moving object (brake disk). Annoying, but not indicating anything is wrong.

As noted by MFE, thinking that squeaks mean a problem is a common misconception encoraged by the brake replacement industry to sell more brakes (until you bring it in to get it fixed under their warranty, then they will be happy to set you straight.)

S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Thanks. I though I was about to drop another $110 pn pads. Sorry for my stupidity in the braking field.

RamMotorsports Lowest prices on SPEC Clutches and Flywheels

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard