Print Thread
#564301 03/06/03 03:30 AM
J
JETNBYA Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
So what do people find to be the best racing tire for these purposes on our tours? I have the E1 rims so we are talking 16s. What size?

Thanks, Jim

98.5 SVT, Vortech SC, Bassani, Quaiffe, Clutchmasters Stg. 3, H&R's/Konis, BAT 22mm Sway Bar, 17" Momo Arrows, Michelin Pilot Sports, Sparco Front Brace, HPP Rear Brace, PIAA fogs & headlights.
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Falken Azenis, 205/55-16 for $86 at www.discounttiredirect.com

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
J
JETNBYA Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by HoosierContour:
Falken Azenis, 205/55-16 for $86 at www.discounttiredirect.com

I said race tires. But thanks.

Jim

98.5 SVT, Vortech SC, Bassani, Quaiffe, Clutchmasters Stg. 3, H&R's/Konis, BAT 22mm Sway Bar, 17" Momo Arrows, Michelin Pilot Sports, Sparco Front Brace, HPP Rear Brace, PIAA fogs & headlights.
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Well couple of choices. I'd suggest running Yokohama A032R's if you plan on doing some track events. They will have the logest lifespan, offer consistent lap times compared to other race tires (Hoosiers), and still be sticky enough to keep up on the autox days. If you plan on doing more autoxing then track days I'd suggest the Kumho Ecsta V700's. They'll give you good life, great traction, and won't cost and arm and a leg.

With both of these tires you can install them in your garage the day before and drive to and from the track on them. Hell, you could probably get 8000+ street miles out of the Yoko's. I'd suggest 225/50/16's. I run Kumho Victoracers in that size and have slight rubbing issues when cornering hard, but nothing to be concerned about.

Yokohama A032R's are $165 a piece.

Kumho Ecsta V700's are $143 a piece (heat cycled).

These prices are from Tirerack so expect to pay a little more shipping.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Ok, well, most people on this board couldn't tell a mud and snow tire from a dedicated race tire. Obviously you do. I run autoX on the Azenis since they are the best for STS. But my experience in G stock and track events tells me that the Kumho Victoracers in a 225/50-16 also. R-compounds are more consistant throught a run as they get warmer so with track events my Azenis fall off in grip and the Victoracers keep on gripping.

Sold 1998 Contour LX 13.868 sec 1/4 mile time. Two years of rental cars, seriously. Holding out for 07 Cobra Mustang.
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by HoosierContour:
Ok, well, most people on this board couldn't tell a mud and snow tire from a dedicated race tire. Obviously you do. I run autoX on the Azenis since they are the best for STS. But my experience in G stock and track events tells me that the Kumho Victoracers in a 225/50-16 also. R-compounds are more consistant throught a run as they get warmer so with track events my Azenis fall off in grip and the Victoracers keep on gripping.

LOL...you've noticed that most people don't understand the difference between a R tire and a street tire too? I get annoyed myself when people think that their $80 Azenis can keep up with my Victoracers. I think the Grassroots Motorsports article showed the Kumhos blowing the Azenis away by something like 1.5-2 seconds on a 35 second course or something like that. Anyway, back to the task at hand.

Let me explain a little better why I would go with the A032R's over the V700's for track use, NOT autox use. On track however the Kumho is much softer then the A032R. The A032R will last at least twice as long due to that fact. The A032R will give you 95% of the grip of the Kumho. I feel for 75% track use and 25% autox use the A032R would be the tire to get. Maybe even 50/50 use the A032R would still be the tire to get. They hold up strong heat cycle after heat cylce unlike the Kumho's which lose quite a bit of grip after being heat cycled many times. That is one reason the A032R runs much more consistent lap times lap after lap.

Remember, track days are for fun, you don't have to drive 10 or 11 tenths. So my thinking on the matter is you don't need a tire that will allow you to drive there. I think the A032R will allow you to get 9-9.5/10 out of your car which is perfect for a fun track day.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard