Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by hetfield:
Might it be possible that NY is different from WI? Or is emissions more federal?

I believe so. I have heard that PA doesn't even do emissions inspections yet.

Or is emissions more federal?

This is my understanding...

Emissions is a Federal standard for new cars sold in the U.S. That is, all cars (this even includes Ferraris and Lamborghinis) sold in the U.S. must be built according to the OBD-II standard. FYI: I believe that CA is slightly different (ie, stricter) than the rest of the U.S.

But checking emissions is another matter...

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by GeoPappas:
But checking emissions is another matter...

I think you might be right. What surprises me is that normally my great state is usually very strict when it comes to pollution and the environment. Many companies have left WI because of the restrictions and associated penalties. I never would have thought that we're behind the curve when it comes to automobile emissions. What good is it when the tests are strict but the proctors are slacking?

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
What good is it when the tests are strict but the proctors are slacking?

Sounds a little like airport security

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by GeoPappas:
Might it be possible that NY is different from WI? Or is emissions more federal?

I believe so. I have heard that PA doesn't even do emissions inspections yet.

The metro areas of Philadelphia and Pittsburg do chassis dyno emissions tests (at 10 MPH). I'm due in April (and passed on the 3L last April with flying colors). The Duratec is a VERY clean running engine and can pass in a less-than-perfect state of tune (and even missing cat(s)).

Cars are built to conform to federal emissions standards, both OBD-II monitoring and actual tailpipe emissions as measured on pre-production cars submitted to the federal government before production is started and through statistical tailpipe monitoring of production vehicles.

Now, monitoring cars after they get into consumers' hands is the job of the states. The EPA either can require or strongly recommend (not really sure which, but both are essentially the same) that specific areas/states perform emissions testing.

Each state can determine what type of testing to do to satisfy the EPA (and this gets to the heart of the topic starter's problem), with many opting to do so-called OBD-II Emissions testing. Basically, they scan your computer to see if there are any Pending Trouble Codes, Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CELs), and if all of the on-board monitors have run and passed.

The way it's going to work (eventually) in PA is that any 1996+ car gets the scan. If any of the following three occur, you go on the chassis dyno (i.e. you failed the OBD-II part): a PTC, a DTC, or any of the monitors do not indicate completion and passing. The reason for the monitor check is to prevent people (like us) from unplugging the battery just before going to the test center. Do that, and the monitors will be incomplete.

However, each state does it differently and certifies their inspectors differently. So it is posible that yokels in WI can get certified but knuckleheads in NY can't.

OK, so here's my advice for the topic starter: DO NOT CLEAR YOUR PCM BY PULLING THE BATTERY CABLE. Doing that will prevent you from ever knowing if your leg was pulled. Take the car to Autozone and get the codes scanned. Make sure the monkey with the scanner knows how to look for PENDING CODES. If nothing shows up (and DTC P0430 does set a CEL, but PTC P0430 does not), you were rooked. If something does, and your state has no fallback for failing the OBD-II test (like running some sort of sniffer test), then clear the battery and go back in a few weeks. The monitor that sets P0430 is the last to run and could take quite a while. If you still fail for P0430, and you are still under the Federal Emissions warranty (8/80 IIRC), make a trip to the Ford dealer.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B

Hey guys... I do emission testing here in Ontario, Canada. They just tightened the limits by 15% at the beginning of the new year. In the 3 years I've been testing cars, I've only failed one Contour. And that was because it had been stored for like a year. I agree, the DURATECH engines are very clean engines. Recently it wasn't a surprise to see a 1996 V6 Mystique with 200k on it with a pass. Also I have passed Contours with their check engine light ON, perhaps the EGRs on them weren't working up to snuff.

At times the guy who runs the inspection (c'est moi!) can decide the fate between a PASS and a FAIL for a vehicle. For example couple months back I failed my friend's 1999 Saturn SL1 with 40k. Reason? My friend only drives it 5km everyday, never takes it on the highway...therefore the vehicle never gets to properly warm up. This in a way clogs emission reducing components. At that point I took the Saturn on the highway for a fast boot with the A/C cranked and 15 minutes later the car passed with flying colours. It's good to know the history of the car being tested.

But I'm not writing this because your Contour is suppose to pass Gary ( still wondering about your FAIL result). I don't know what the emission results were. Care to forward a copy of the test results to me? I want to compare them to the results from my car. The email is product_of_poland@hotmail.com

1998 Ford Contour GL Sport 2.5 V6 MTX in Black @ 322ks BMW 335i = Lexus IS350 in your rearview mirror
H
H
The problem with the OBD-II check is that even if the car passes the smog test, it can still fail. If your car is showing any code related to emissions, it will fail, even if the smog test is perfect.

I just had my emissions done on the 14th, and certain years, like mine, only have to have an OBD-II test and gas cap test (to make sure the cap can hold a vacuum). The don't even do the smog test. Next year I'll have to have the smog test done, but I'm not worried about passing.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
B
B
My 98 Mystique 6 cyl 89K. failed the emission test TODAY! (Ontario Canada). They ran the diagnostics and have to replace both O2 sensors. Cost me just under $600.00 Canadian.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by billnah:
My 98 Mystique 6 cyl 89K. failed the emission test TODAY! (Ontario Canada). They ran the diagnostics and have to replace both O2 sensors. Cost me just under $600.00 Canadian.

Did you have a CEL? Did it fail smog(which then prompted a PCM check?

98 GL sport (V6 MTX) The Durable Duratec? - (DMD, Metal impeller WaterPump, Synth & Stinky in the tranny)
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
What's really ticks me off is the prices of the these pollution parts. Ford?dealers? whoknows? has the audacity to charge $76 US for that junk DPFE that has the life expectancy of bug flying around a bug zapper, this I just learned is $38 US wholesale. Must have cost the vendor $2-3 dollars to slap togther.
Since I've lost my job 4 years ago (29+ tech @phoneZoo) like so many in the US (corp greed 90's style alias rape). Well it makes you stop and think and want to get even, but I must mention I went through the Vietnam deal and "I have a BAD attiude"
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
H
H
Someone forgot to take his happy medication this morning. tsk tsk.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard