Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#555184 02/24/03 03:46 PM
S
svogary Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am a recent SVT Contour buyer..I went Friday afternoon for emission testing before I can buy tags and got a surprising result...

Car runs great with NO check engine light but the emission testing center says I FAILED.
OBD INSPECTION:
MIL COMMANDED ON
1 TROUBLE CODE REPORTED:
P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Could one of you tech guys give me a place to start in getting the Contour passed emissions testing?

Gary Alsobrooks Hendersonville, Tennessee 1985 Saleen Mustang #49 white/blue, t-top, bigwing 1998 SVT Contour Black # 1994 SVT Lightning White #3684
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Since I'm guessing you have a 1998 'tour (and not 1988 like your sig says ) the cats should still be under warranty. Unless there's some other problem with the car that wouldn't be covered under the catalytic converter warranty, take it to a dealer to have the cats checked out. Also, take your report from the emissions center and show it to them so they know what the problem is.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I would think that the CEL should be lit up for the code that you received, but I could be wrong.

Does the CEL come on when you start the car? It should light up for a second or so on startup. If it doesn't, then the CEL bulb is probably dead.

As far as the P0430, there are a lot of posts on this code that can be found by using the search feature. Here is one of them.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
S
svogary Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The CEL light does come on with key in on position and goes off after start.

I made sure light hadn't been disabled before I bought the car.

Gary Alsobrooks Hendersonville, Tennessee 1985 Saleen Mustang #49 white/blue, t-top, bigwing 1998 SVT Contour Black # 1994 SVT Lightning White #3684
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Reset the computer and try the Emissions test again.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by RoadRunner:
Reset the computer and try the Emissions test again.

Could work but it's risky, as the drive cycle will not be complete,
you should try the warranty of 80k

1998 Contour V6 2.5L ATX
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
If the PCM had the P0430 code in it, then the CEL light would have been ON.
P0430 is a MAJOR Emissions Failure.

If you reset the PCM and drive it, and no CEL light comes on, then there NEVER was a code.
Makes you think about the guy who was running the inspection though...

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
H
H

I've had friends who work at emissions centers. Trust me, it doesn't require any knowledge of a car other than what you need to get a license. If the computer says PASS, you pass. If it says FAIL, you fail; that's it.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by hetfield:

I've had friends who work at emissions centers. Trust me, it doesn't require any knowledge of a car other than what you need to get a license. If the computer says PASS, you pass. If it says FAIL, you fail; that's it.

I think not. I had a NYS Emissions Inspector License during my employment at a Buick Dealership.
It takes more than a driver's license knowledge to get an Emissions Inspector's license.

H
H
Hmmm... The people I know that work(ed) at my local emission station didn't need that much extra training, and they never mentioned anything about an inspector's license. One in particular got fired for taking too many liberties with his job. It would surprise me that he'd go through the process of getting a license just to throw the job away. He made it sound like the job was easy to get and easy to lose.

Might it be possible that NY is different from WI? Or is emissions more federal?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard