Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Today I was bored and figured why not, I'm on a roll. Got the car out of storage last week, then:
- got a new Sears DieHard battery
- new tires
- DMD

so today I installed the TH fix. The revs hunted for about 10 seconds and then the idle settled.

I went for a drive and WOW, big difference! The revs drop when they're supposed to, which just feels right with an engine that revs up so easily. And I now have engine braking! I love it. As far as FTD (fun to drive) quotient goes, the TH fix ranks even higher than the DMD in my book. I didn't know what I was missing for the last 4 years.

Thanks Lance for the pipe plug. I never would have done it if hadn't been given the thing.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
You guys have now seen the light! I did mine the first month I owned the car. I couldn't stand having the revs decrease so slowly, but I was used to a quick reving 4 banger also. Anyway, glad you tried it Kerry. It was really cool of Lance to bring all of those, for some reason I just assumed most everyone had done it.

Now for the real fun, get you guys out autocrossing or running a track day. If you think the car is fun to drive on the street wait til you get it on a closed course! mmmm, the smell of brakes on fire in the afternoon just does something to me

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Yeah, it's funny how we all were skeptical about it. I didn't want to do it, neither did Darren really. I figured what the hell...I can take it out later if I don't like it. No way now! I really like it. Darren did his just after mine and liked it as well! Glad to hear you did it too Kerry. The only thing I've found I don't like about it is when the car is cold it idles really low. That first start in the morning is a bit annoying, but I've got so many miles on mine now. I might enlarge the hole a bit, but I'm certainly not taking it out! Do you guys notice the cold start thing?

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
D
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
D
I'm in the same boat as Mike. I have been toying with the idea of enlarging the hole just a skoosh and see if that is more to my liking. In the morning on the first start the idle is way to low for mike liking (400-500 RPM). Sometimes it just plain stalls. I'm glad i'm not the only one that has noticed the low RPM on the first start.

'99 Tropic Green SVT K&N Filter,DMD,RSTB. For sale '65 Mustang (Restored)For sale '67 Mustang "An adults cunning is no match for a childs innocence"
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by Darren:
I'm in the same boat as Mike. I have been toying with the idea of enlarging the hole just a skoosh and see if that is more to my liking. In the morning on the first start the idle is way to low for mike liking (400-500 RPM). Sometimes it just plain stalls. I'm glad i'm not the only one that has noticed the low RPM on the first start.

Yeah, I'd probably enlarge it a VERY small amount...mine idles at no less the 6-650 every morning

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by shotwell:
Do you guys notice the cold start thing?

Nope, the car idles and starts just as before. Could it be that you guys park your cars outside?

I'm in a heated garage, so maybe that's why?

In any case, enlarging the hole sounds like it may help.

Kerry

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada
K
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Hmm, a day later I am finding that cold starts result in the rpms being at 1000 rpm instead of 1500 rpm. Not rough or anything, but I wonder if this is bad for the car, or just worse for warm-up time and emissions?

The car seems a bit stinkier when idling cold but I could be hallucinating. I think it may be worth making the hole a tad bigger to see if I can get the cold idle rpm up a bit.

Kerry

L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
I'm glad everyone likes it! I've run into a lot of skepticism, but overall everyone is very happy with them once they relent.

The holes are all 3/16". You could enlarge it up to 15/64" (that's what mine is). It was found that 3/16" or 7/32" was optimal for SVT's.

My idle wasn't affected, but I did notice that it doesn't jump up the revs as high on initial start.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
My whole is at 15/64ths...hmmm that doesn't sound right

Yes my car is parked outside. I've actually had in a variety of climates. Anywhere from 0-100+ degrees and it definitely likes the warm days better for starting, but it never really gave me any big fits at 0 degrees either.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
I'm glad everyone likes it!
... everyone is very happy with them once they relent.
... It was found that 3/16" or 7/32" was optimal for SVT's.

Lance:
I missed the meet, and now I want one too!!!
What do I have to do to get you to come down here and show me?

'99 Contour SVT - Black Beauty - (5/1999 - 8/2003) '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (Black on Black) ...Always clean, Always mean.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard