Print Thread
#553071 02/21/03 01:04 PM
S
SVT24 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I have a clunking sound in front end when I go over bumps. Sounds almost like something is loose and bouncing around up there. Has anyone else had this problem?

2003 Toyota Matrix 1972 Pontiac Ventura II "Sprint" 1998 SVT !SOLD!
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
How many miles do you have? More than likely it's bad ball joints or something else similar that is related to your suspension. Cars with miles and age generaly get a real 'lose' feel up front from worn suspension parts.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
There is a linkage that connects the lower control arm to the strut. This is a very common wear item on our cars. It is basically a straight metal rod with a ball joint on both ends. Often the rubber boots on the ball joints will crack and allow the grease to escape causing a clunking noise. Check these on both sides of the car. Good luck.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
S
SVT24 Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by WA2FAST:
How many miles do you have? More than likely it's bad ball joints or something else similar that is related to your suspension. Cars with miles and age generaly get a real 'lose' feel up front from worn suspension parts.

I have about 78K on the car now.

2003 Toyota Matrix 1972 Pontiac Ventura II "Sprint" 1998 SVT !SOLD!
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Seems a bit soon to have that kind of problem, but with bad roads, they can accellerate wear and rattles to the point of a car with 20k is equal to a car with 50-60k (suspension wear and interior rattles). I would take it up to a shop and have them throw it up in the air... I'm sure you'll find that your ball joints are going or shot.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I had a clucking sound too, and it was the front sway bar. It was the vertical bar link that links the sway bar to the suspesion. Got a new one and problem solved.

'99 Silver Frost.SE.V6.MTX Drop-in K&N / Masked rear Reflector st200/Eibach / SVT E1's FMS Wires / ES Rear Bushings
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I had the same sound at the 50,000 mark in my tour, and $25 worth of sway bar links cured it. Don't know about the 95 but mine had plastic bushings in the joints. new ones are cast aluminum.

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Hmm, when does it make the clunking noise with the sway bar end links? Because I'm trying to track down a clunk/pop noise on the left front of the suspension of my car too. I know its not the ball joints, because I replaced the control arms not long ago, and they came with new ball joints. It only clunks when starting to move from a stop, or stopping hard, and always when turning right into my driveway. It's only noticeable at low speeds. I also have recently installed new CV joints, so I know that's not it either.

My thinking of the possibilities are:

1 - struts or strut mounts (original, 126k)
2 - springs (original, 126k)
3 - sway bar bushing or end-links (original, 126k)
4 - subframe bushings/bolts (these were removed when I had my transmission serviced).
5 - power steering rack/gear (its leaking fluid)

Based on my symptoms, could anyone help narrow down my list of possibilities? I don't want to go replacing all of my front suspension components on a wild goose chase. Thanks!

'96 Contour SE, 130k, traded 6/19/03 for: '03 Infiniti G35 Coupe , Diamond Graphite '02 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue Pic
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
struts with 126 K can definitely make a 'clunk' when you accelerate hard or stop hard.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
The sway bar links are easy to check, turn the wheel to the direction it makes the clunk and jack it up. (use a stand!) Crawl under and put some pressure on the joint, try to wiggle it around. If nothing try steering the opposite way and try it again. I immediatly heard the noise on my right side end link. Upon dissasembly I found water in the ends of the rod. No more puddle bashing!

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard