Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Right.

The reason I am digging into this is because it has not been done before, it would be one of a kind for sure, and besides the traction problems, it would be hella fast and something louder than sh!t when you shift. ( I am not getting the info so I can go and do it right away, I am getting input so I know what is involved and if I would want to tackle this someday.)

-Bishop

*Invisible Hero* 1999 SVT Contour/Amazon Green Keep It Real. Beware the fury of the silent man.
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Peach:
I have read this post and see that everyone is saying that it is damn near impossible to do. If space is the issue, what parts of the engine could be "modified" or relocated to allocate for two turbos?

Let's think about this long and hard. Don't just jump and say "HELL NO IT WON"T WORK" because anything can be done with the right amount of money and the proper thinking. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be done to press them in?

I would want a sequential setup if I had two turbos. That is what I am going for if anything can be done.

-Bishop

It certainly could be made to work, with enough time, money, tools, hacking and generally ripping a perfectly good contour apart.
The point is that a twin turbo setup on a contour will gain nothing over a properly designed single setup, and i mean nothing. Typically, under somewhere around 5.8L twins are typically only used for improved packaging or for "pimp factor" or for proper turbo size availability (twin turbo 5.0L mustangs are popular in the DIY arena simply because the perfect size T3 for twins is readily available in junkyards across the country in many different vehicles.)

If the "pimp factor" of a twin turbo contour appeals to you enough to spend gobs and gobs of hard earned cash, and having to live with a butchered semblance of what was once a contour, then more power to you, I'm sure it will look cool. For me? If I want a turbo contour, I'll buy a streetflight kit, or make my own which would be oddly very similar to the streetflight kit, and likely using many of their components.

Just because something is different doesn't mean its a good idea. And just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be. Besides, if anyone is that hung up on having a twin turbo duratec, buy a Noble M12 GTO, it will likely be cheaper in the long run, and handle much better.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Right.

The reason I am digging into this is because it has not been done before, it would be one of a kind for sure, and besides the traction problems, it would be hella fast and something louder than sh!t when you shift. ( I am not getting the info so I can go and do it right away, I am getting input so I know what is involved and if I would want to tackle this someday.)

-Bishop

What on earth would possibly make you think that a twin turbo setup would have any more traction issues than a single? or be any faster? or have any louder of a BOV (or BPV)???

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
What is so wrong with a sequential TT setup?

What would be right with it? Nothing I would surmise.

Quote:

I think that would be a great advance for the Contour.

-Bishop

I don't.

Sorry for the multiple posts replying, but each time I go back and recheck what I wrote, I'm struck by the ignorance in each post I didn't reply to.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Rara:
Sorry for the multiple posts replying, but each time I go back and recheck what I wrote, I'm struck by the ignorance in each post I didn't reply to.

What crawled up your @$$?

You must gain alot from making others feel inferior.

*Invisible Hero* 1999 SVT Contour/Amazon Green Keep It Real. Beware the fury of the silent man.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Well i pretty much gave up on the twin turbo idea after i took a long hard look at my friends svt with a single turbo its possibe to do but like everyone else it would take enormous amounts of $$$$ and time, so get the streetflight kit and upgrade turbo's

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by shaggz:
Well i pretty much gave up on the twin turbo idea after i took a long hard look at my friends svt with a single turbo its possibe to do but like everyone else it would take enormous amounts of $$$$ and time, so get the streetflight kit and upgrade turbo's

That is what I will probably do when I finally go the Turbo route. I was simply wondering what would have to be done to make it work, but instead I get a full breakdown of my "ignorance."

The SF Turbo kit will probably suffice when I am able to do it. Probably will do it when I rebuild the engine.

-Bishop

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by shaggz:

I would estimate it took over 20k in parts, time and resources to get it done. We made 5 sets of headers before a final jig was made. I was without my car for 7 months.

Without upgrading internals I would strongly suggest staying away from an upgraded turbo unless it is on a 3.0. And even then it's just for the displacement not because it's any stronger.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R

What crawled up your @$$?

You must gain alot from making others feel inferior.

You wanna know "what crawled up my @$$"??? When people start spouting off about crap they know nothing about like they are some sort of expert.

It has NOTHING to do with making people feel inferior (but if the shoe fits. . .) its all about correcting misinformation so this kind of stuff doesn't continue. Why on earth do people start bringing feelings into technical discussions? This is about TECH and FACTS not about who is gonna go cry because someone told them they were wrong.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
You wanna know "what crawled up my @$$"??? When people start spouting off about crap they know nothing about like they are some sort of expert.

Hmmm. Where did I say I knew anything? If I did know everything, I wouldn't be asking now would I? Yeah, that makes sense now doesn't it?

It has NOTHING to do with making people feel inferior (but if the shoe fits. . .) its all about correcting misinformation so this kind of stuff doesn't continue.

What misinformation? The fact that it can be done but to you and everyone else it seems pointless? Oh I see now. You want everyone to see it YOUR way. If it doesn't make sense to you, and doesn't fit your opinion, then you want to label it misinformation and put an end to it. Cool.

Why on earth do people start bringing feelings into technical discussions? This is about TECH and FACTS not about who is gonna go cry because someone told them they were wrong.

You brought in the "feelings" by calling what I was saying "ignorant." Well excuse me for not knowing something. That is why you ask questions, which I did. If not knowing something makes you ignorant, then everyone is ignorant because no one knows everything.

-Bishop

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard