Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 56 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 55 56
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
How the hell do you get the tips away from the valence cutouts? Since Brullen did not send installation instructions much less installations tips with their do-it-yourself bolt-on systems I'm winging the adjustment part. I've used my floor jack to hold the whole system in place while tightening bolts. The mufflers each have two bolts that can be tightened or loosened. The passenger side is good but the driver side is high and very tight against the inside of the valence cutout or visa versa. This is with the outside bolt TIGHT and the inside bolt so loose the gasket isn't sealed. (Makes the car sound like a tank). It appears the rear y section was made too narrow.

I initially bolted the whole system together and installed it that way. The muffler tips would not even fit into the valence cutouts. So I resorted to bolting the system together one piece at a time.

SVTCuervo and others, am I missing something here in how to properly install this system? I'm posting here to get answers. If I don't get them here I'll go to Performance Fords for answers or an allowance to take a defective system to a muffler shop to be butchered to fit.

I'm being very civil with this post while in actuality I'm very pissed.

Last edited by musicnut; 05/18/03 08:16 PM.

2000 T-Red SVT, #562/2150
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
same problem for me, the tips rub against the inner valence + the section around the fuel tank rub this one too

1999 CSVT Silver #2718 of 2760 8/16/1999
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Here is what I did to get the tips to line up (and they will line up right if you screw with them enough!). Try torquing the REAR bolts on the muffler flanges up more than the FRONTS. This will swivel the tips outwards away from the valence. Mine aren't lined up perfect, but fairly close.

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
O
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
O
When I bought my Brullen a year ago I had the same problem plus I didn't like how the tips stuck out so far so I had a muffler shop light up the exit perfectly and shorten it so it's more flush with the exhaust cutouts. Pain in the ass since I expected more from $500/600 exhaust but all was forgotten when you turn on that engine and let her rip

MY NEW HOBBY...RUINING CHRIS CROFTS LIFE...
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by jthursby:
I got my second one Friday. Thats all I'll say here.

Jim

Okay I changed my mind. Lets just say that my SECOND system fit worse than the first! When I mounted the front pipe with the mufflers attached the tips are 8 inches off the bottom of the bumper! You should see the pictures! They hang down at a 70 or 80 degree angle. WTF? It wont fit without a sawzall and a tig welder. I'm royally pissed now! Twice I've had my old exhaust off only to have to reinstall it again. I should have done a straight dual setup like DemonSVT did. Would have been faster (by far) and at least done correctly. I might have enough parts to build a decent system but WTF? why should I for $580.00? I fully expect bullshizit about Brullen taking this crap back, but we'll see. Personally I'm not enthused about Brullen's quality control either. The first system had a washer welded on the hanger rods to stop the isolator from sliding about, there aren't any on the new pipe. And so much for an all stainless system as the flanges are mild steel. All of them. Brullen would have to go above and beyond to make their company shine in my eyes at this point.

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by wontgrowup:
Here is what I did to get the tips to line up (and they will line up right if you screw with them enough!). Try torquing the REAR bolts on the muffler flanges up more than the FRONTS. This will swivel the tips outwards away from the valence. Mine aren't lined up perfect, but fairly close.

That is what I have done to the point that the front bolts are actually loose and you can see light THUR the flange on either side of the gasket. Both sides are like this. Needless to say, my car is LOUD and sounds like a car with a nice system that has a hole in the muffler. I still don't know what a Brullen system sounds like. Mine sounds like a junker with a bad exhaust. With all of this, both tips are still rubbing the inside of the valance cutouts to the point where the chrome is getting scuffed. My tips are approximately 1 - 1.5" too close together. I guess I'll have to put my stock system back on until Performance Fords/Brullen does something to rectify the problem.

Some people said their system bolted on with no problems in 15 minutes. Others of us are having mild to major fitment problems. It seems Brullen is having quality control problems. Do they have more than one jig with one more accurate than another? Is someone that handles a cutting torch and welder drinking his lunch? We will never know. I just know that I bought a system that is supposed to fit my car as a do-it-yourself bolt-on system that doesn't fit and I expect Performance Fords/Brullen to make it right.

I used to sell audio equipment at retail. Sometimes a customer would get a lemon. We did what was necessary up to replacing the unit (and I would personally install and setup the system, although I do not expect PF to do that) to make the customer happy. I am now an accounting consultant to businesses and I see instances where companies book loses on a transaction while trying to correct a transaction that went bad. The companies I work with understand it is better to lose money on one transaction and make the customer happy than to try to make a few bucks and piss-off the customer. Happy customers are good unpaid advertising. Really pissed-off customers will tell far more people their bad experiences every opportunity they can.

I hope PF understands that they experienced a few unexpected problems with this group buy that they gained new knowledge from. They can turn it into a big positive event with lots of good word-of-mouth advertising or they can try to save a few bucks and brush off the problems and know that they will be trashed all over the net on every automotive board possible. The outcome of this is up to Performance Fords/Brullen.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by musicnut:
I hope PF understands that they experienced a few unexpected problems with this group buy that they gained new knowledge from. They can turn it into a big positive event with lots of good word-of-mouth advertising or they can try to save a few bucks and brush off the problems and know that they will be trashed all over the net on every automotive board possible. The outcome of this is up to Performance Fords/Brullen.

You summed it up perfectly for me in a way my pissed-off mind wasn't capable of right now. Alessandro was supposed to get back to me Monday, but I'm not sure if he has even looked at the pictures I sent him yet.

Jim

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by jthursby:
Alessandro was supposed to get back to me Monday, but I'm not sure if he has even looked at the pictures I sent him yet.

Jim

Performance Fords was most likely closed Monday due to that being Victoria Day, a Canadian holiday.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I spoke with Alessondro regarding my problem with not being able to keep my tips from severely rubbing the inside of the valence cutout. He had just run into the same situation with a system he had installed. The problem is caused by excessive heat buildup in the flanges during welding which causes the flanges to warp. He suggested taking the system apart, placing each flange facedown on the floor and hammering the flanges flat. I'll try this if it will fix the problem so that I won't have to pay a muffler shop to fix it or have to ship the system back to Canada.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
musicnut, once the tips are lined up, you torque down from back to front so there isn't any leaks....worked for me.....

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
Page 51 of 56 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 55 56

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard