Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to install the Vortech, but I'm not going to have the actual unit for another couple weeks. I got the fuel system from kinger.

so far I've installed the fuel pump and moved the battery to the trunk. What else can I do before actually installing the unit? Can I go ahead and put in the fmu? I want to get as much done now as I can.

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
How about exhaust mods? Vortech spec MSDS headers might be nice, or optimize your factory manifolds. I'm sure the vortech is going to make it much more difficult to touch that front header since the jackshaft runs near it and it is already a pain-in-the-ass.
Pull your upper and lower intake manifolds and clean and port match them so you can get more air throught the engine.
Put on a larger TB so you can move more air as well.

Just some ideas that will help out no matter what you do.

war'...

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
thanks for the ideas. They are very helpfull. I was mainly referring to the kit itself. I don't have 2 days off in a row so I'll need to get everything done in one day. I know there is a lot to do so I'm trying to get as much done as I can now.

btw, I have a shoshop y-pipe, but stock (modified) exhaust. I think I might "optimize" the pre-cats now that you mention it.

Does anyone have a good picture of the jackshaft?

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
ohhhh good luck....the specs say it should take 14-16 hours to install the kit alone.....and with most people on this site that have the kit, it took them 16 to 24 hours over all.

If your doing it your self good luck and I hope you accomplish everything in one day.

As for mods for the vortech, after you install the superchip that came with it, you may want to get it tested and tuned before you do any hard driving....sometimes it dumps too much fuel in the engine.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Dumping to much fuel into the engine is a saftey setting that Vortech does on purpose I think. Very little chance of detonation when your running rich. I thinks its a good idea to lean it out some for sure though.

2004 Evolution VIII cams-exhaust-tune 315whp 12.7@109
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
yes...and I would go ahead and purchase a new filter to replace that puny filter vortec supplies.

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Well, between the battery and the fuel pump, I've got about 5-6 hours into it already. When I go to install it, I'll have two other people helping me and a lot of beer. I figure if I drop the radiator and do some of the relocation stuff (like the ac) and replace the spark plugs the night before, we should get it all done in one day.

I'm do samn excited, I gapped the plugs this morning and put them in a safe place. Oh yeah, I have a pro-flow optimizer laying around, so that can do my fuel leaning out for the meantime. My wife won't let me spend anymore money for now.

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Modifying and refitting the radiator and fan assy. are the most tricky part of the job. The more you get done with that, the better. Have you already moved the fuse box?

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
I don't have that part of the kit yet, but why do you ask? Is it also tricky? I've only got the fuel system. Any other tricky parts I should know about?

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
My install would have been done in about 12-16 hours if it weren't for the radiator and fan shroud. That probably took them an extra 10hours of adjusting and stuff. Keith and Dave descibed it as "shoving 10 pounds of sh!t into a 3 pound bag".

All that and it still rubs a little.

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard