Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Hi All,

Can someone tell me the easiest way to remove the front headlights (whole assembly, not just bulb) from a 95-97?

After severe yellowing, I need to replace them. I have already bought replacements, and need to install them. I've opened the hood, and removed the grill, but don't see how they attach.

Do I need to drop the front bumper?

Thanks!

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Nope, there's no need to remove the bumper cover. There are three star-head screws that hold the healight assembly in place. Two are visible on the top of the assembly, one on each side. The third is behind the headlight, towards the bottom. Once you remove the three screws the only thing left to do is pull off the clips for each of the three bulbs, and the whole assembly should pull out.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see that this was for a pre-98. I doubt that my directions would work for you... sorry.

Last edited by hetfield; 02/02/03 08:48 PM.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
T
T
I've done it twice. I have a 95 Contour V6 and had to replace the headlight after a deer hit. I know the manual says to remove the bumper but I did it without removing much. I need to refresh my memory since it was many years ago, but its a knuckle buster. The headlight is held in with rods and ball joints on the end. Let me open the hood and refresh my memory. I'll get back to you.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The hardest part is removing the clips behind the header panel. (The big gray plastic thing that goes across the whole front of the car.) Look carefully with a mirror and flashlight at the backside of the headlamps and you will see 2 or 3 gray metalic clips holding the headlamp unit to the header panel. These are hard to slide off due to the reach and lack of room for hands and tools. Getting them back on will also be difficult, but I think it's possible. I was replacing the header panel so I was able to mount the lights on the panel before putting in on the car. Removing the bumper cover wont help much except to let you remove the header panel. (If you have to...) Hope this helps.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
Hey All!

Thanks for your help. I was able to remove and replace the headlight without removing the front bumper.

However, I did run into a snag. One of my clips fell, and I've been unable to locate it.

Can you buy replacement clips? Anyone know if there is a part number? Is this a generic part I could get at a hardware store?

I appreciate any of your assistance!

Thanks!

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard