Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
Dirty eh? Then just think how fast just the dirt in my car is gonna travel.

Tom

LOL! A whole lot faster than my dirty car!

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G

I am fabricating all the piping from the headers up to the turbo, and from the turbo to the exhaust right now. In the one picture of the up-pipe, it is just tack-welded together to get the turbo into the correct position. The down pipe is also built now and fully welded together but I forgot to take my camera and snap pictures of it.

Cool! So in the original SF kit, does the turbo sit right next to the manifold and not in the location that you have it? Most T/C cars I've seen have them mounted pretty much directly after the collector. Ofcourse, most of those cars were dinky little 4-bangers with tons of space in the bay! Will the fact that is farther away make any difference in power, or it doesn't matter because the entire system is pressurized!?!

You ever seen those cartoons where the lady cat walks by the dude cats and their eyes start popping out of their heads and they are whistlin? Well, I'm the guy cat, and you're car is the lady cat! Woohoooooo!!!!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I have the SF kit and it sits on top of the trans like warmonger's his was the first set of pipes ever made, IIRC.

I should have pics up soon. The guys that took them are hopeless though so don't hold your breath!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Power won't be compromised too much by the distance the turbo is mounted, but spool time can be affected because the exhaust temp is lower by the time it hits the turbo. However, spool-up on the SF kit is so fast with the T-28 that it isn't an issue. The turbo might run cooler than the ones right off the manifolds, so that could be a blessing for the intake temperatures. Power seems to be good as the approximate position of the SF kit is roughly the same place as mine.

Tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Tom,
Not sure how to say this. But I just now saw this post and pics of your car. And it is almost exactly what I plan to do to mine and look like. So as you an imagine. I really really like your ride.

www.NEED2SPEED.COM 98.5 Svt Contour 98 Svt Contour 00 Svt Lightning 05 500
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
The turbo might run cooler than the ones right off the manifolds, so that could be a blessing for the intake temperatures.

It might have an affect on underhood temperatures, but the intake temperature probably won't be too different. Remember, compressing the air is what is causing the intake temperature to rise, not the heat of the turbo.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I wanna be like you when I grow up...

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Compressing the air is only one source of intake charge heat.
Do you think heat conduction from the exhuast housing running 1000 C isn't going to conduct through the all metal housing to the ~80-100 C aluminum compressor housing? What about the turbine shaft? Those are two prime areas for extra heat to enter the intake charge through convection and conduction. Then there is friction added to the air from the compressor wheel which results from vigorously circulating the air.
Underhood temperatures are going to raise anyway since the turbo is under the hood. My statement that it may not heat the intake charge as much results from the logic that the exhaust has more time to cool down before it gets to the turbo so the turbine and housing will be cooler. Therefore the temperature difference between the exhaust and intake will be lower and the rate of heat transfer should be lower.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#537199 03/02/03 12:06 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well, I'm finallly going to give an update and some new pictures. I have the pipe fabrication complete now except for a mounting tab on the down-pipe. I am going to have it bolt onto the rear motor mount so the piping is solidly connected to the engine.

The pictures I have show how the main header piping is routed, the turbo, the down-pipe and the wastegate. I put all the pieces together to show how they assemble.
The next step will be bolting them in. I am not thrilled about that because some of the nuts are in such tight positions that I will be wrenching for an hour on just one of them I'm sure.
After installing this piping all that remains is the intake side and of course all the little extras like hoses and stuff. Don't talk too much smack about the welding since I did it all myself and I'm getting better. Some of the welds are nice and some are ugly but all the joints are good on the inside of the pipes so no sweat. They're all covered with header wrap now anyway (not shown in the pictures) so anyone looking at the piping wont see them anyway.
If you are familiar with the underside of the car you can tell from the pics that I ran my exhaust under the drivers side of the trans and I shaped it to follow the contours of the subframe and trans. As soon as it clears the trans there is a 3-bolt flange that connects it to a flex-pipe, which in turn goes into the main cat and another 3-bolt flange, and then on to the rest of the exhaust. This was done for easy serviceability. It's taken me a month, but I have only been able to work on it 4-6 hours a week on saturdays becuase of my job and the hours that the shop is open. Hopefully I'll drive it home next weekend where I can finish the intake at my leisure.
Well, what do you think?

warmonger

#537200 03/02/03 12:18 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
That looks really good....looks really clean and well done! What's the dia. of your D/P?

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard