Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
YEAH!!!

You'll received my consultant fee in the mail.

Man I wish I could be there to see it run. I'm envious just hearing about it.

When I get back by KC way we'll go to Outback Steakhouse again...Ok with you? Thanks for all your help and tuning advice man!
Oh yeah, Thanks to all those CEG'rs who have contributed to this or any of the work I started. Without this site I wouldn't have been anywhere near what I have accomplished now. Many heads are better than one!

Tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
The MAC 70mm TB's have a slightly larger flange than the 65's do, at least the ones I've seen. That should hold your extra adapter in place just fine. The 70mm BBK I had was the same way, though I had a thick piece of steel as my adapter. The hole saw didn't like that to much! LOL!

I doubt I'll make it to Texas, but let me know when/if you get to K.C. again and I'll make the 3 hour drive down to see it.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by bnoon:
The MAC 70mm TB's have a slightly larger flange than the 65's do, at least the ones I've seen. That should hold your extra adapter in place just fine. The 70mm BBK I had was the same way, though I had a thick piece of steel as my adapter. The hole saw didn't like that to much! LOL!

I doubt I'll make it to Texas, but let me know when/if you get to K.C. again and I'll make the 3 hour drive down to see it.

Yeah, the TB has had no problems since I got it working last March or so.
You're lucky! If you did make it down here you'd find yourself put to work helping me finish all the small details! lol

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by fst4dr:
I didn't put anything behind my 70mm, and I dont think it leaks. Still get 9-10# of boost. I just cut the top part of the stock gasket and used that, along with a bunch of RTV

It might be leaking and I dont know it, but I think it is holding up fine. If it ever does leak, I will have to make a sheetmetal plate of somesort.

BTW, great job on the Turbo, hope to see some numers soon. With all these turbo's appearing, I think the days of us Vortech owners are numbered. Just hope Kinger and Buckshot can do us proud in the S/C vs. T/C HP war :D

Well...I don't think so.
Let me update you guys and give you some food for thought.

I did some datalogging with the emanage and learned alot!
I decided to go back to square 1 (maybe 2) and put in the 24# injectors and the stock MAF. I had dyno and Air/Fuel data with this same setup from KC MO last summer so I knew what the A/F ratio would be. All I did in addition was pull timing across the board. The car seemed to run awesome! The boost begins to build as early as 2000 rpm, but full boost comes on about 35-37 hundered rpm. This is telling me the turbo is sized exactly the way I wanted it!. No excessive wheelspin, but about the time the secondaries open I have maximum boost!! Normal driving seems the same as it did before the turbo. Anyway, the car idled good and seemed to run nice other than a few stalls and backfires related to having a blow-off valve rather than a bypass valve.
Here is a recount of the pertinent data I took on a second gear pull with those 24# injectors and the stock MAF:

-5600 rpm
- MAF voltage = 4.75 volts
- inj. Duty Cycle = 97%
- inj. pulse width ~= 21 ms.

** Oh, by the way...pressure was .5 Kg/M^2 or roughly 7psi.

So what does this tell you? Consider again that this is 5600 rpm and I have 1400 more rpm to go. It seems that the stock MAF has been max'ing out at about 300 wHP for the guys at streetflight, so you draw your own conclusions.

I decided to put in my 36# injectors and 80mm pro-m MAF in. The car wouldn't idle at all at first. With extensive adjustments using the emanage I have made them work, but not well. I definitely don't trust the tune with it so far considering I have no dyno A/F data to go with it.
It seems that the SVT computer without a chip can only accept MAF signals within a certain range before the load calculations are too far out. The pcm calculates load based on TPS, RPM and Airflow readings from the MAF. It the MAF voltage is way-off then your load calc's will be out of range and even the emanage can't help that. It seems like its time for the tweecer or a custom chip.
I have talked with streetflight to get a custom chip for 36# injectors and 80mm Pro-M. Lets see if Keyser can meet this challenge.?

Anyway, I will refrain from any real testing until I get the chip that will allow me to safely use the new components. The emanage will work on top of the chip so that isn't a problem either, but I need to get into the ballpark.

I also need to fill the motormounts with urethane to stop the engine rocking as well...the energy susp. inserts aren't good enough.

Thats all for now. I'll update some more later, I bet you all can't wait for the dyno day (though none more eager than myself).

Tom

warmonger

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
I can't prove with hard data that the stock maf runs out at 300fwhp but that was the estimate the we got with data logging at the shop. At 270 hp a cougar was near 90% maf max voltage. I made it to 290 so 300 is an educated guess.

As for the chip, no problem. With the emanage Tom, I just need to get you in the ballpark and you can dial away till it's the way you want it.

If the BOV is giving you an issue, unscrew the end. Watch because the spring will jump at you. Put a few washers in to tighten the spring tention. This will help with any backfires that you may have.

-Chris

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
The stock MAF is only "calibrated" to work up to 4.7852 volts (~775 kg/hr or only ~375-380cfm!)
Yes it will read higher (820 kg/hr (~400cfm) max at 5 volts) but the PCM will not recognize it properly.

3L at 5600rpm & .5 bar

That equates to roughly 265cfm ^ .5bar = ~375cfm

2.5L at 6300rpm (turbo's HP peak) & .68 bar

232cfm ^ .68 bar = ~390cfm

Both would correlate pretty well to the limit of the stock MAF.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
So if the fuel is tuned right then what is that saying in power to the wheels? Do we need to do the thermodynamic calcs (no way!) or can we approximate like Chris says.
I don't mind believing that this car can turn close to 300HP at 5600 rpm! I have to admit it is running rich and it doesn't feel like it is that fast, but then I am being gentle and not getting on it.
Well I ordered the chip from SF so its all up to Chris now.
I'm patiently waiting on you Keyser (NOT)! Let me know how its going.

warmonger

W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
The chip came today. I cleared the pcm memeory, plugged it in and it worked like a charm!

Its still running a little too rich I think since I took off in front of this guy and left a cloud of black smoke when the rpm's were above 6K.
Lets just say that these new tires grip way better than the old nitto's and now it rips em free in 2nd gear when the boost comes on. Its only 7psi boost and no intercooler as yet.

The chip has worked wonders. I gave SF the MAF transfer function provided by PRO-M along with some other interpolated points and the injector size, and they plugged it all in for me. With no emanage adjustments the car fired right up and ran smoothly.
The power under full throttle and boost is frickin awesome now! I am really worried about the transmission so I am not going to be doing any hard shifts. Fingers are crossed on that one. Stock clutch is holding good as 7psi, I'll see when the intercooler is on and I'm running 10psi.

So now what.? There are other little details to wrap up, but for now I'm looking for those mustangs and firebirds owners who love to eat up contours!

warmonger

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I'm very envious. I want your torque!

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
man I can't wait to see numbers when it is completely done. Great job!

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard