A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by Outback Gal:
Originally posted by drajen:
Originally posted by Qbert:
Originally posted by PDXSVT:

Qbert: Schools/cops/health care were NOT hit first. They were hit LAST. Were you out of the country during our legislature's FIVE special sessions? What's your excuse for NOT knowing what

I'm sorry I disagree. All the legislature did during those 5 sessions was sit around and managed to come up with, "we need to raise taxes". Oregon has the highest property taxes in the nation by almost 2 fold. Out of all the states we are the 10th highest taxed overall. Where is all the money going?

I used to work for higher education, PERS is unbelievable. The state dumps tons of money into that. Portland I believe is the only place releasing criminals early right now, what gives? Schools in southern oregon are not having near the problem that schools up here are, again, what gives? Senate takes a large raise, but won't take a pay cut like they are asking others to do?

Obviously Law Enforcement, Schools, and Health Care, probably are the biggest ticket items, so there are bound to be some cuts. But really, get serious, there are still other programs out there that are state funded that are a lot less important then these issues.

how much is your sales tax down there? I bet ours is higher in king county (seattle)

You do know that Oregon has no sales tax right? So it would be pretty hard for it to be higher than ours in the King/Snohomish County area!

=) Christy

if you have no sales tax then that would be equal to 0.0%, so if someones was .1% it would be higher, ours is 8.86, You know how damn much that is, [censored] i used to live in cali when it was like 5.6%. And I though that was high. lol our tax is way to high!

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
#535571 02/01/03 06:56 AM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
Some other time, on a lighter note, we can discuss a line item veto. Or how while I'm a die hard baseball fan (now you know I'm a whacko) I doubt Portland's SMSA can support one adequately. (Watch out for the White Sox this season)

In the meantime, I doubt people understand how much bang they get for the buck on their tax dollars. Yes, I'm being serious. Sure, everyone gripes. But it's too complicated for most people to understand.

By the way, if taxes are too high, should we all save money by doing away with unemployment benefits?

R. Birk JD/MBA

I can't remember where I read the tax rankings, but I believe it was in the Medford Mail Tribune (they've been known to be wrong before). I can't disagree with you about the baseball thing, Portland just can't support them.

I'm not griping I'm getting taxed too much, but what I'm saying is I don't think I need to pay more at this given time. Infact, I can't pay more at this given time . We do get a lot of services for our tax dollars, but I think we could get more by trimming a lot of the fat.

As far as unemployement goes, if you were to take that away, Oregon's economy would probably collapse.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
#535572 02/01/03 02:34 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
One of the problems the state has is lack of consensus and shared values. Polarized disagreement leads to deadlock and look where we are now. Another is how the budgets are figured and funded every two years and forecasts go south in the meantime.

This a.m.'s column by Robert Landauer in the Oregonian's Metro op ed section cites a report by the "Legislative Revenue Office" (query: is that Office with Oregon? Congress? A think tank?) titled "2003 Oregon Public Finance: Basic Facts":

"Oregon's total state and local tax burden was 10.5%, compared with the US average of 11.2%. Oregon ranks 39th in total tax burden.: 38 states carry heavier loads, 11 states lighter. We're 2nd highest in state personal income tax, 18th in corporate income tax, 25th in property taxes and 50th in sales and excise taxes."

I think NO ONE should be GLAD 28 failed, but people who are broke should perhaps instead be RELIEVED it failed. Yes, there's a difference.

I'll shut up now. I promise. (cheering erupts)

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard