Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#535560 01/30/03 09:52 PM
F
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
F
If you are in Oregon, you know what I'm talking about.

I'm glad it failed. I pay enough taxes. Plus, this is coming at the same time we are giving state employees a 3 percent pay raise. So some kids won't be able to play spring sports and a bunch of very pointless government programs will be cut. The income tax is already high enough.

1999 Black SVT "If I were an admin I'd ban you without a second thought. " ~Trapps
#535561 01/30/03 11:56 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yeah, who needs to keep all those petty criminals in custody in Multnomah County...we can just ship 'em all down to Salem when the Multnomah county sheriff has to cut his budget. Is the local jail YOUR idea of a pointless government program?

Does Don McIntire drive a Contour? Does Bob Tiernan dive a Mystique? Does Bill Sizemore drive a Cougar? I can tell you have strong feelings. So do I. But why does this topic belong on THIS website?

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
#535562 01/31/03 12:20 AM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
Yeah, who needs to keep all those petty criminals in custody in Multnomah County...we can just ship 'em all down to Salem when the Multnomah county sheriff has to cut his budget. Is the local jail YOUR idea of a pointless government program?

Does Don McIntire drive a Contour? Does Bob Tiernan dive a Mystique? Does Bill Sizemore drive a Cougar? I can tell you have strong feelings. So do I. But why does this topic belong on THIS website?

lol, we need mini forums under each area. Ohh well, What does me going to college have to do with contours, mystique, or mondeo's it has nothing to [censored] do with it. So what, if you want to post specific things go into one of the other forums, otherwise who the hell cars, its not like hardly anyone posts in the NW! God Damn! Lets argue over stupid stuff. I don't know the measure 28 thing, but petty criminals should be locked up. Cut there damn hand off and they won't ever do it again!! Teach them something. Just like in the olden days, you steal bread, CHOP there goes your arm. Talk about low crime. lol j/k

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
#535563 01/31/03 12:21 AM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
I voted no on it also. I'm currently unemployed and can't/don't want to pay more taxes. The state government needs to learn how to regulate itself much better. I still can't believe that schools, law enforcement, and health care are up on the choping blocks first. I'm sure there are many other state funded programs that can be cut.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
#535564 01/31/03 02:18 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
OK, flame me.
Fatmike: you mention how SOME state employees are to get a 3% pay raise. I talked last December with Washington County's state courthouse employees about how those who are not laid off will be subject to a 10% cutback in their work hours with M-28 going down. With courthouses statewide closing one day a week, and courts/cops figuring to not handle small claims courts and property crimes, and criminals KNOWING that, if someone breaks your driver's side window to steal your CDs, you'll be paying ANYWAY. Come on up to Portland for a concert and test out my theory.

Portland can't afford security cameras in its public parking lots. Last November, someone backed into the front passenger door of my SVT while I was parked. Repair bill: $968. Portland's thriftiness precludes me from going after the unknown jerk that did it. Figure the number of people per week that have that happen, and cameras would pay for themselves on higher taxes vs. lower insurance premiums.

Can you say "Penny wise, pound foolish"?

Qbert: Schools/cops/health care were NOT hit first. They were hit LAST. Were you out of the country during our legislature's FIVE special sessions? What's your excuse for NOT knowing what

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
#535565 01/31/03 05:27 PM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q

Qbert: Schools/cops/health care were NOT hit first. They were hit LAST. Were you out of the country during our legislature's FIVE special sessions? What's your excuse for NOT knowing what

I'm sorry I disagree. All the legislature did during those 5 sessions was sit around and managed to come up with, "we need to raise taxes". Oregon has the highest property taxes in the nation by almost 2 fold. Out of all the states we are the 10th highest taxed overall. Where is all the money going?

I used to work for higher education, PERS is unbelievable. The state dumps tons of money into that. Portland I believe is the only place releasing criminals early right now, what gives? Schools in southern oregon are not having near the problem that schools up here are, again, what gives? Senate takes a large raise, but won't take a pay cut like they are asking others to do?

Obviously Law Enforcement, Schools, and Health Care, probably are the biggest ticket items, so there are bound to be some cuts. But really, get serious, there are still other programs out there that are state funded that are a lot less important then these issues.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
#535566 01/31/03 11:39 PM
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by Qbert:

I'm sorry I disagree. All the legislature did during those 5 sessions was sit around and managed to come up with, "we need to raise taxes". Oregon has the highest property taxes in the nation by almost 2 fold. Out of all the states we are the 10th highest taxed overall. Where is all the money going?

I used to work for higher education, PERS is unbelievable. The state dumps tons of money into that. Portland I believe is the only place releasing criminals early right now, what gives? Schools in southern oregon are not having near the problem that schools up here are, again, what gives? Senate takes a large raise, but won't take a pay cut like they are asking others to do?

Obviously Law Enforcement, Schools, and Health Care, probably are the biggest ticket items, so there are bound to be some cuts. But really, get serious, there are still other programs out there that are state funded that are a lot less important then these issues.

how much is your sales tax down there? I bet ours is higher in king county (seattle)

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
#535567 02/01/03 12:13 AM
O
Admin + 1/2
Admin + 1/2
O
Originally posted by drajen:
Originally posted by Qbert:

how much is your sales tax down there? I bet ours is higher in king county (seattle)

You do know that Oregon has no sales tax right? So it would be pretty hard for it to be higher than ours in the King/Snohomish County area!

=) Christy

Christy Kinley 95 Contour SE MTX 01 Outback Limited Wagon with all the goodies
#535568 02/01/03 12:20 AM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by Outback Gal:

You do know that Oregon has no sales tax right? So it would be pretty hard for it to be higher than ours in the King/Snohomish County area!

=) Christy

Yep, that is why our property taxes are so high. We also have pretty high income tax.

#535569 02/01/03 12:21 AM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yeah, I know PERS has BIG issues. But when I checked out the website for The Tax Foundation, ranking each state in tax rates, per capita and per $1000 in income, the charts I found for 2001 put Oregon in the middle.

So who's your source for saying Oregon is 10th in overall state tax rates? Gimme a citation.

And what's the big surprise that our property taxes are so high? That's part of the by-product of our having NO sales tax. Look at what Washington and California generate in per capita revenue by general sales taxes... and we have NONE of that going to run this state.

The legislature did approve the state budget that shorts programs. The legislature decided to not do a rainy day fund. The legislature decided to not keep the tax surplus refund kicker. The legislature did next to nothing when the revenue forecasts built into its budget came up hollow. And when the legislature decided to nothing about the cuts posed by the budget it passed and turned underfunded, it let M28 go to the voters to allow nothing to happen to re-fund state cops and schools and courts and elderly and infirm programs etc etc etc.

I don't mean to defend funding every program out there. But how often do you hear the "I don't have kids in school here. Why do I have to pay" comments? Someone was sure catering to that constituency!

Hey, guess who passed the PERS laws that were supposed to do one thing, but when they worded it wrong and passed it anyway, it had a different effect? Yep. The legislature. I guess our citizen legislators back then did not know enough about legal rules for construing statutory language when they botched the money match wording. You can pull the legislative history, where people explained what they THOUGHT they were doing, then you can compare the court opinions, where the courts read the language of the passed statute and conclude that wasn't what they wrote but we're stuck with what they passed... we have a history of amateur legislators, and sometimes there's bad along with the good that comes of that.

I'm not overjoyed that soon they'll have a worse reputation than lawyers, but they will certainly deserve it.

Some other time, on a lighter note, we can discuss a line item veto. Or how while I'm a die hard baseball fan (now you know I'm a whacko) I doubt Portland's SMSA can support one adequately. (Watch out for the White Sox this season)

In the meantime, I doubt people understand how much bang they get for the buck on their tax dollars. Yes, I'm being serious. Sure, everyone gripes. But it's too complicated for most people to understand.

By the way, if taxes are too high, should we all save money by doing away with unemployment benefits?

R. Birk JD/MBA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard