Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Now I remember why I got a DMD, I'm a fool, my wife tells me that every other day. But a bloody fool????????? naw can't handle that!
I'll glad I did and I lost the harmonic type noise at turnpike speed. Whatever it was it's gone. Smooth and quite the entire rev band.
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
Come on buddy. I like Terry. I look forward to his words of wisdom. It must be my ex-Mormon upbringing. Since I am Agnostic now, (former Mormmon return missionary) my car is my idol and Terry is my prophet. And long live the car gods!

Its just a spoof on my former self. Lighten up.

And I was agreeing with Terry.

stock 1998 silver frost SVT E0 #1545 out of 6535 * K&N drop-in air filter * DMD * Koni's w/ stock springs * Autolite double platinum * Tranny cocktail * Mobil 1 Snyth Oil @ 60K miles
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by holycowSVTpaul:

I was agreeing with Terry.

who wouldnt agree with terry on anything having to do with these cars?

Oo (xxx)oO o xxxxxxxx o
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
And my girlfriend can't understand either why I paid $138.00 for a thingy mado that goes on my car and does nothing. Good mod though. I gues you have to be a car nut to understand. That's why I come here.

A Bible, A bible, we got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible. Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

Hence la rasion d'etre of CEG, Mon Bible!

stock 1998 silver frost SVT E0 #1545 out of 6535 * K&N drop-in air filter * DMD * Koni's w/ stock springs * Autolite double platinum * Tranny cocktail * Mobil 1 Snyth Oil @ 60K miles
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Just get a DMD.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Doesn't the connecting rods put more pressure on the crank than the mains do ?

If the oil pressure would drop suddenly, wouldn't the centrifical forces on the rod mains,
cause the oil to be pulled off faster than it would leave the Main Bearings ?

I understand Terry's point, but the bearings don't seize immediately after the oil pressure drops.
It takes a few seconds for them to heat up to point where they melt.
Where the pressure is greatest, should be where heats up the fastest,
due to friction and pressure, and that would cause it to seize first.

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Another thing that I don't understand - oil is an incompressible fluid flowing through a solid (ie non swelling so there is no residual pressure from constriction after pumping stops) gallery, so when pressure drops at the pump wouln't the entire lube path stop flowing right then and there? In this case it seems like whatever component sheds oil first is going to seize, which following the logic of RoadRunner would seeem to be the rods.

I'm just a hack, but I know more knowledgable people like procyon and horse aren't total believers in the crank whip theory.

I guess the safest thing to do would be to take Dan Nixons philosophy and assume that all the suspected causes of spun bearings are potential killers

dmd for whip, extra 1/2qt for starvation, and if you have big bucks an accusump or even some clevite77 rod bearings.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
I think the main point that Terry is trying make here is that there is no "oil starvation issue" that we all talk about. From reading his post and comments on the FCO, he feels that the crank is the weakest link in engine. He feels that due to a poorly designed crank, it is much more prone to harmonic induced failures. Hince the DMD is needed on the MTX's to absorbe this extra vibration in certain RPM bands. Terry stated that he saw a good number of cranks go prematurly in the engineering of the engine and was not happy with what he saw. Plus noone would agree with him, basically, to do anything about it.

He had stated several times on the FCO that out of all the 2.5's that he has rebuilt that had spun rod bearings, none of the failures were due to oil starvation across the crank. Hince the pluged gallery. The e-mail that "rozwell911" has posted above seems to be a reidaration of several post that he has made in the past on FCO.

I don't know guys, I am truely convienced both ways. We all know that if you have a MTX and use the car for anything more then buying groceries, it is a great idea to have a DMD. But at the sametime, there have been a few here that have melted bearings just like Terry is saying can't happen. The last time this came up, I think Horse got really upset becasue of his situation. DemonSVT seems to think there are oiling issues and who can argue with him. The guy knows a lot more about our cars then most of us combined.

I think we are mearly worrying about differences of opinion and like ScottK said, just assume that all the suspected causes of spun bearings are potential killers, cover your bases with that in mind and everything will be ok.

Just my two cents!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
No problem man, I've got no beef with it either way. I just wanted to know because I wasn't sure how to take it. You know me a little from my writing by now, I like to joke, but I take writing very seriously most of the time unless it's an obvious joke.

...monger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Im sorry if my original post is causeing so much Debate. Terry asked me to forward this e-mail so more poeple would understand. Even As we speak he is monitoring the responses that we write.

Terry knows exactly what causes Bearing failure, and i believe he just wanted to set a lot of "newbies" stright. And I don;t mean post count newbies, im tlaking about the ones that don;t know a clue of what there talking about.

He was just sick and tired of people give other wrong advise.

AS fo most of us here, I believe we all know its better to be safe that sorry, a DMD, accusump, and a little extra oil is all we need.

Im sorry if I cause so much trouble.

ROz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard