Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#533693 01/29/03 02:43 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
There is a misconception about what causes the main bearings to go in the V6. Terry E-mailed me his answer after reading a bunch of e-mails and posts about what causes it....He wasn't too thrilled...
Quote:

Subj: Tell the fools on CEG...
Date: 1/28/2003 9:13:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
To: rozwell911@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

This is the oil flow to the crak from the pump via the filter to the mail oil gallery to the crank MAIN BEARINGS FIRST...then from drillings in the crank to the rod ends...so whay do few MAIN BEATNGS FAIL and ONLY THE ROD ENDS IF THE ISSUE IS OIL STARVATION...the bloody main would go dry BEFORE the rod end!!!.The crank whip causes the crank to distort and get a 'sliver' of rod end material in the oil holeTHAT COMES FROM THE MAIN...blocks off the feed and the bearing spins...christ cant anyone read the lube circuit on an engine!!!..Fools ,all bloody fools!..TH (PS Have a nice day!)

I hope this somewhat answers questions..

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
in english please?

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I undersatnd what he is saying, but I can't really put it into words...maybe a Veteran can step in...like DemonSVT..hes good at explaining things.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by rozwell911:
I undersatnd what he is saying, but I can't really put it into words...maybe a Veteran can step in...like DemonSVT..hes good at explaining things.
Roz

Three letters are the key to unravelling this mystery...DMD!! That is unless you want to replace the sintered con-rods with something a little more substantial!!

2004 Velocity Red RX-8 *Racing Beat Intake and Exhaust *Grand Touring Package *Red/Black Leather *Fender Strakes *Rotary Accents *Xenon HID's *Bose
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
All he is saying is that if the rod bearing failure problem were from oil starvation that the main bearings should have failed first because they are closer to the pump.

He is suggesting that crank whip is more of the cause. I would also question the robustness (that seems to be a popular word from the factories today) of the rod bearings.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
Terry is saying that if all the duratec engine failures where due to oil starvation (as originally perceived), the main bearings would fail first due to the fact that the mains are first in line in the oil path and would be starved first and fail first.

However, the Master has only seen con rod bearings fail (running counter to the oil starvation theory). Hence, the bearing failures are due to crank whip, not oil drain back issues.

Fools shall mock but the wicked will mourne.

Gea a DMD.

stock 1998 silver frost SVT E0 #1545 out of 6535 * K&N drop-in air filter * DMD * Koni's w/ stock springs * Autolite double platinum * Tranny cocktail * Mobil 1 Snyth Oil @ 60K miles
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
Gee Jim, you beat me by 10 mins. You responded while I was composing.

stock 1998 silver frost SVT E0 #1545 out of 6535 * K&N drop-in air filter * DMD * Koni's w/ stock springs * Autolite double platinum * Tranny cocktail * Mobil 1 Snyth Oil @ 60K miles
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Holycowsvtpaul,
I'm just curious, are you saying that he is right or wrong?
I'm trying to interpret the emotion from the poetic phrasing and I am split on whether you are commending him or mocking him. I tend to get the feeling that you are agreeing with him and mocking him at the same time, but that is just me...if it the latter is correct, you don't need to respond but otherwise if I and others are getting the wrong impression you may want to straighten us out.
Oh, I just want you to know that I am not approving or disapproving of your post, I am just very curious.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Um...Does Terry drink? Seriously.

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by 96RedSE5Sp:
Um...Does Terry drink? Seriously.

Yup...I think he drinks seriously...don't we all??? (drink that is...)

Last edited by Art Hazebrook; 01/30/03 02:51 AM.

2004 Velocity Red RX-8 *Racing Beat Intake and Exhaust *Grand Touring Package *Red/Black Leather *Fender Strakes *Rotary Accents *Xenon HID's *Bose
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard