Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
I'm sure this subject has come up many times, but after checking the latest posts, I've realized the symptoms described there are different from my problem. As mentioned in the subject title, the car is a 95 Contour GL, Duratec ATX. I can't give more details because it's not mine. The problem is that the idle goes up and down between less than 500 and 1000rpm even when cold and sometimes the down motion is so much it stalls. The car seems ok while driving, with normal throttle response and power, but when stopping and not pressing the gas, the idle starts going up and down about once or twice per second until it stalls. Interestingly, when I disconnect the MAF sensor the idle becomes stable, albeit sometimes getting up to 1000rpm, but at least it's drivable and the engine performs normally. I left the MAF sensor disconnected so my friend could drive home without having to press both gas and brake when in a traffic light. Could someone help me? Is driving with the MAF sensor disconnnected a bad idea?

Thank you!

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Sounds like symptoms of bad TPS sensor.... But I'm not sure why unplugging the MAF would help if that were the case.

1995 Contour SE V6 5 spd
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Well, since unplugging the MAF actually improves the situation, I'd say a dirty/malfunctioning MAF would be the top of the culprit list.

Take the MAF off, spray some electronics (or brake) cleaner on the two little elements inside the MAF (don't take it apart), remove the negative battery cable for a minute or two, and see if the situation improves when you put it all back together. Best to pull the battery cable before removing the MAF and put it back on last.

You could also try spraying the connectors (both MAF and harness) with some electronics cleaner. Maybe the contacts are dirty/corroded.

For the cost of a can of spray cleaner, it's worth a try.

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
i had the same problem and seemed to get rid of it cleaning the throttle body and egr

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
I AM STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I CLEANED THE THROTTLE
BODY (IT WAS ALL GUNKED UP) THOUGHT THAT WAS IT. I USED TWO CANS OF CARB CLEANER. I PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER AND SHE SEEMS TO IDLE BETTER WHEN
SHE IS WARMING UP. BUT I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM OF WHEN
STOPPING AND SHIFTING. (I HAVE A STANDARD 95')
WHAT AND WHERE IS THE MAF CENSOR? WHO MANY OTHER SENCORS COULD IT BE?? I HAVE READ IN OTHER POSTS
ABOUT AUTOZONE DIAGNOSTIC. ARE THE TECHS ABLE TO READ THE CODES OR DO THEY JUST GIVE THEM TO YOU TO FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF? WOULD THEY HAVE A DIAGRAHAM OF WHERE THE PROBLEM IS? WHAT DO YOU THINK gdub520????

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Whoa!!!..
First off...

Step away... from the CAPS... (Gives a sense of yelling, and an overall "loud" appearance, making it harder to decipher relevant information from your post..)

Firstly:
The MAF sensor can be located be finding your air filter. (In a black filter box.. Just towards the engine, will be a roughly rectanglar box mounted to the MAF(Mass Air Flow).. You should see a small sensor on top of the box, with wires leading to it.. This is the MAF Sensor.
The MAF is the first physical thing, after the air filter...

Secondly.. The Autozone tech will read and "attempt" to tell you what your code means.. He basically reads what the screen tells him to say.. That's about it.. Make sure to grab that code, and post it here, so that those of us with MUCH greater knowledge on the topic will be able to help you out.. plenty of people on here, and a lot of past incidents..

I doubt Autozone will have diagrams, but WE may, if we know the code..

HTH

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for the comments. This problem is confusing me because it seems just the idle is affected, so this should lead to the idle control valve. However, since it gets much better after unplugging the MAF, then it can also be the MAF. I haven't considered the EGR valve, but after reading the comments maybe I should. Can the EGR be cleaned with electronic cleaner spray? How about the intake manifold gasket? I've read another post where this is suggested as the cause of bad idle/stalling.

Thanks again.

T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
sorry, i can type better if i don't have to worry about the
caps. i'm a wanna be mechanic not a typist. hows this---
calming effect???
i'm gonna try your suggestions. i see alot of people use auto zone i'll get the codes and come on back to this helpful group.
tilly

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
check the IAC "idle air controller"

2000 SVT (silver) #1529 of 2150 ------------------- yeah...its modded "having no way as way and no limitation as limitation"
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by showtime:
check the IAC "idle air controller"

Definitely...the IAC (as I understand it) is like a regulator-type sensor for airflow at idle, and if it's gotten sticky or sludgy, it won't respond properly to airflow restrictions. Mine's being replaced today, in fact, and I had the EXACT same symptoms.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard