Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
A friend of mine has owned/driven Contours for a while now and has just recently purchased a used 99 SVT Contour with a few mods. He's interested having me install a Vortech on his new SVT. I'm not new the world of forced induction but he is and I don't think he understands why his 10:1 compression ratio scares me.

My questions are:
1) With the high CR on the 2.5L how long do the stock pistons last? Has anyone cracked/melted a stock piston yet at 8-10psi?

2) Does a SVT 2.5L have a knock sensor?

3) How long for an install time? Did it take the advertised 10-14 hours?

4) What is the CFM rating for this blower @ 8-10psi?

5) Anyone have any after install dyno numbers WITH wideband air/fuel ratios?

Thanks for your time!:)

'99 Mustang GT '91 Talon TSi AWD T3/T4
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Hello and welcome to contour.org. A little off the subject, where in Wisconsin are you from?????? I'm not a vortech expert at all, but from what I've heard when all is said and done it will take a lot longer then the ten to fourteen hours the company says. Plus there is a bracket that pretty much you have to have the motor out of the car to align right. I'm sure the real experts will tell you everything you need to know though.

1998 Silver Frost CSVT #4014 Some mods My car
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by HighPSITalon:
A friend of mine has owned/driven Contours for a while now and has just recently purchased a used 99 SVT Contour with a few mods. He's interested having me install a Vortech on his new SVT. I'm not new the world of forced induction but he is and I don't think he understands why his 10:1 compression ratio scares me.

My questions are:
1) With the high CR on the 2.5L how long do the stock pistons last? Has anyone cracked/melted a stock piston yet at 8-10psi?

Thanks for your time!:)

1) A high CR alone does not crack/melt a piston, detonation does that. A proper a/f ratio for the fuel used will prevent that. A higher CR does make the potential of detonation much more likely though, it just makes the tune that much more important.

2) Yes.

3) Dunno for sure, since I don't own one, but from what I hear, significanttly longer than the advertised time, unless you are very familiar w/ the setup, and on a mission to complete it quickly.

4) Check Vortech's site for thier compressor map on the unit included w/ the kit, that should tell you more than I could in this limited space.

5) Can't help you w/ this one, but I would be interested to see them if you do find them.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R

1) I have not heard of anyone cracking a piston under normal use of this kit
2) Yes the SVT does have a (over sensitive) Knock Sensor
3) Much more time than the advertised 10-14 hours.. More like 35 hours
4) Dunno, sorry
5) I wouldn't bother spending hte money on Dyno Tuning without the A/F Wideband O2. That is what tuning is all about. The SuperChip that comes with the kit does a pretty good job at keeping the A/F where it needs to be.. I am sure some improvements could be made.
253FWHP and 192TQ with many improvements to be made.

I am not a "Guru", but I have just recently gone through this process.

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Thanks for the quick responses!

Justin: I live in the Milwaukee area.

Another question: Does the 99 SVT have a returnless style fuel system?

H
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Rev. Po-Jay:

3) Much more time than the advertised 10-14 hours.. More like 35 hours

Any details? Pitfalls? Does it require lifting/jacking the engine as mentioned above?

Thanks.

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
To get the jackshaft aligned properly you have to drop the engine. At least thats what I have heard.

98CSVT specII yada yada yada 95 Mustang GT M&M road&track box HP stage one 60-mm
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i think the most fwhp is mark rowe with roughly 290 fwhp on his 98 svt. at spring zing this year, he put down a number in the 270s.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
a guy from chicago (bstone) put down 270FWHP with no other mods other than the vortec kit.

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Originally posted by HighPSITalon:
Thanks for the quick responses!

Justin: I live in the Milwaukee area.

Another question: Does the 99 SVT have a returnless style fuel system?

You need to check for return versus returnless. Look at where the fuel rail comes out from under the TB and if there are two lines you've got a return style system (good to go) if you've only got one then you're looking at a returnless system which can be made to work with larger injectors and a custom tuned chip.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard