Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
I just want to start this post with the comment that I am not bashing TCE. At this time (since it's the weekend) i have not spoken to Todd or TCE, they have been nothing but kind, polite and informative. I will try to contact him on Monday.

Well today i finished the install (almost) of the TCE Willwood kit on my (used to be stock) 2000 SVT, with stock rims. For the record, it's a very nice kit with all the shims and spacers needed and new SS hoses.

The problem is with the rims (stock). They just do not clear the edge of the roter by about a 1/16. (I used the spacer provided in the kit). I have to use the car on monday for work so the quick fix was a trip to the local auto parts store and two universal 1/2 inch spacers (for 4 lug cars) is all it took. Well that's good and all except.. There is not much of a lug left to place the lug nut onto. I have concen about the safety and striping the lug with only a 1/2 of thread (or less) The 1/2 spacer is a bit to big i may be able to go with one that is about an 1/8 or so smaller. But i do not know how much room is needed between the roter and rim, i would guess the rim has to flex some around turns?

Unless I messed up the install there are three options:

• Find a smaller spacer but thicker than the one in the kit this depends on tolerance? can just washers be used? or do i need the full plate?
  • Install longer lugs (if possable)
  • Uninstall the kit

Woz 2000 Contour SVT #136 Black with Blue leather 30% tint all around 12.2" Wilwood Billet NDL PS: I hate ALL Ford Dealers
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
There are such lugnuts with extended sleeves. Visit any performance shop they should have them. I would not!!! REPEAT NOT!! drive the car with out the new lugs!

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Thanks, there is a performace shop on the way to work, about 1/2 down the road.

Woz 2000 Contour SVT #136 Black with Blue leather 30% tint all around 12.2" Wilwood Billet NDL PS: I hate ALL Ford Dealers
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
As it's early right now, I have yet to get to the shop to see what messages you may have left.

Should you pick this up before we speak;

The stock wheel 'should' take the one spacer supplied, at least that was the case with the test fit. However there are some things we can do...First I'll happily send along one more of the plates to you today. The are .090 thick. Next, the way around the stud problems is: NAPA 641-3131 stud which should be a direct sub for what you have now but be 52mm in length. If you cannot find them I'll send them along. This was a listed "upgrade" to the Focus kits for stock wheels, I see it is not listed on the Contour page- my mistake. Lastly, depending upon how much room you need (assuming it is little) you may also insert one or more of the SS shims between the caliper and the bracket to shift it inboard a bit. Use the same thickness on each bolt however.

For now, very limited use of the car without the nut in the proper place is advised. The idea of a longer tube nut is not likely to work- I don't believe the wheels are made for this type of nut. Get the right studs.

Call me after 8 mtn time.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Well, last night I got it installed and working

For the record Todd hooked me up, and for Free!!!!
  • 4 Longer lugs for each side
  • extra spacers (if needed)
  • over night shiping

It's very nice to see a vender who stands by there product.

I had to use more spacers than i would liked but when I burn through my current re950's I may go with a FSVT 17's and can remove some of the spacers

Tonight when the road are empty i will bed them in

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Simple put... no one can beat TCE for customer service.

A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
Take your time getting them seated. Over heating new rotors can warp them rather quickly. It try and go soft for 500 to 1k miles before I stomp on them for fun. You could also glaze the pads by doing so.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
J
Flaming Biker Dude
Flaming Biker Dude
J
the wheelstuds are off of a Ford Taurus...I had to install them when I put my Konigs on....was breaking studs constantly...good call Todd....

People suck. Rev it till it MELTS.....
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by woz:
Tonight when the road are empty i will bed them in

I'm sure you've got good instructions..

Here's some more reading material for those of you who might be wondering how to avoid rotor and pad issues.

Rotor Seasoning for Street or Light Track Applications
Pad Bedding for Street or Light Track Applications

Enjoy!

W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
It's good to hear that TCE is a good business to buy from. I am planning on getting a 13" Wilwood Kit from them sometime within the next 6 months if things work out as planned for me. Oh yeah a be sure to post pics of your new brakes if you can

MY05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue / Gold 98 Contour SVT - Sold WTS: Stock SVT Rear Sway Bar. PM me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard