Next Thread
Print Thread
#520892 01/11/03 09:20 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Is there anywhere in/near Northern VA that has AutoX? i know that they have it at the parking lot at FedEx Feild, but i think that those are mostly closed off to the public.

"What did you think about that Dorothy girl?" "The whole Judy Garland thing kinda turned me on. That doesn't make me some sort of fag does it? "Nah baby, your money." 98 Black SVT #3560 of 6535
#520893 01/13/03 03:54 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Check this link which has a list of websites for Southeastern SCCA regional clubs. Virginia's at the bottom.

HTH.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#520894 01/13/03 05:14 AM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
C
thanks, i am pondering doing this for fun after i get my suspension work done, any tips? ie brake before the turn and accelerate through, drifting, don't hit cows that wander onto the course....

"What did you think about that Dorothy girl?" "The whole Judy Garland thing kinda turned me on. That doesn't make me some sort of fag does it? "Nah baby, your money." 98 Black SVT #3560 of 6535
#520895 01/13/03 05:39 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Well, you've already thought of the cow problem, so there's probably not much I can tell you...

Everyone will say, "Just go out and have fun." I agree. Go out. Be social. Ask questions. As you drive more and learn more, some things will make sense to you. If you decide you love it, you will thirst for more knowledge.

Actually, you bring up some good points.

1) Brake before the turn. Yes. If you find yourself pushing through the corner, it is often because you saved braking for too late. The front tires are at their max grip, the suspension is unsettled, and now you are asking the car to turn? Take it easy on the next one, brake just as hard, but a little sooner, to allow the car to settle into a better attitude for cornering. Then accelerate through the turn. This is esp. true for nose-heavy, FWD cars like ours.

2) If you make a mistake, don't get frustrated and try to "make up time" by driving even harder. Smoothness and consistency. "Drive slow to go fast," is something you'll hear a lot. It means to be smooth on your control inputs. Don't stab the gas pedal. "Squeeze" it. That sort of thing.

3) If you've never autocrossed before, check out The Solo II Novice Handbook. It is an excellent resource for the newcomer, covering what to bring, what to expect, and how to behave (etiquette) as well as a few pointers.

I can't possibly cover everything here, and I'm no champion driving instructor, either, but again, HTH.

Enjoy!

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
#520896 02/02/03 09:55 PM
R
R
To get the AutoX stuff happening in No. VA, go to:
http://www.jwtodd.com/mwcscc-ax/.

All events are open to the public, unless listed in the schedule otherwise.

Randy Schiller '99 SVT '98.5 SE Sport

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard