Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
I'm trying to find out if I can legally get away with using crash bolts on the Contour in GS. Does anyone know if this is mentioned in any of the service manuals or TSB's? Basically if it is mentioned in any official Ford documents for bring the alignment back into spec I can use the info. If you can, be as specific as possible as to where you found this information, thanks.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
If it is a Ford factory supplied part (Ford#s)... Yes.
VW have dealer supplied crashbolts allowed on VWs by the SCCA.
Can't Quote the rule book as I mainly participate with a different club.

Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Well what I'm worried about is getting protested at Nats. Basically it has to be in print somewhere to be able to use them legally. The Focus guys have this issue right now.

2004 Focus PZEV 2.3L - KW sport suspension, SP camber plates, Eibach front swaybar, FS intake, FS Stealth exhaust, 3.82 Final, Torsen ATB, Prothane MM insert, E1 CSVT wheels 1/4 mile - 15.201@89.4mph
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Here's a quote from section 13.8 of the 2002 rulebook:

"if authorized by the manufacturer, the use of shims, special bolts, removal of material to enlarge mounting holes, and similar methods are allowed and the resulting alignment settings are permitted even if outside the normal specification or range of specifications recommended by the manufacturer. If enlarging mounting holes is specifically authorized but no material removal limits are specified, material removal is restricted to the amount necessary to achieve the maximum factory alignment specification."

The key point is "if authorized by the manufacturer". If Ford sells or approves "camber correction bolts" aka crash bolts for use in the car then you can use them and whatever alignment you are able to get out of their use is allowed. But don't go elongating the spindle/strut holes or you land yourself back within factory tolerence levels unless material removal limits are specified in the factory manual.

And if you go to Nats...you MUST have a copy of the factory manual or whatever TSB/factory documentation supports their use.

FWIW...getting protested should not be your fear. WINNING the protest is what counts. I've heard of countless cash--rich weenies protesting every last damned thing so being the subject of a protest is not unusual. It's whether or not you can support your position that counts.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by MFE:

And if you go to Nats...you MUST have a copy of the factory manual or whatever TSB/factory documentation supports their use.

Isn't that what I stated before, well minus having to have an FSM, but that is a given.

Trust me on this one, if it is not in writing (even if there is a part number), I cannot use it. That is why I'm asking. I do have a FSM, but I cannot find in there anything relating to crash bolts. That is why I'm asking if anyone can produce a document that I can use or to show me where in the FSM it is located.

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
What's a crash bolt?

Q
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by AirKnight:
What's a crash bolt?

Basically it is a smaller diameter bolt then the stock bolt holding the control arm. Basically it allows the control arm to swing out the difference of the diameter of the bolts causing the car to have more negative camber. It is a loophole in stock to get more negative camber out of cars with very little (ie. Contours). They were designed for cars that get into accidents that are narrowly out of alignment specs (ie. the reason they are called crash bolts). Now mind you it probably won't make more then say .2-.4 degrees difference, but anything helps when you don't have anything else to work with.

They need to start making DOT Race tires with some built in camber. The old BFG's used to have a degree or so designed into them. Though you go through more tires since you can't swap the tires across the wheels.

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard