Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
mondala Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello.

I'm new here, and a new owner of a 1998 Ford Contour SE Sport and I really like the car. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Problem is, I'm 23 years old, and I cannot afford to have purchased a car that has a major problem.

I would like your advice so I can address the problem right away with the dealer if there is one.(Well, complain at least)

I have searched the forum for a general idea of possibilities but I'm not very car savvy and I would like to ask some simpler questions.

My last car was a Honda Civic CX hatchback and I had really decent fuel economy. Now, I am getting about 350 KM per full tank of gas which to me is not so good. However, I am not used to the bigger engine. I drive the car pretty good I think... I change gears at about 2500 rpm... I think I drive it really easy. 70% City, 30% hiway driving. I bought the car from a dealership, it was supposed to be "reconditioned and good as new". 68 000 km and counting.

1)So far from what I have said; does it sound as though I should be gettng better mileage?

2)If there is a problem, what would be the top 3 most expensive problems and the costs?

3)I am completely non car technical, and like most of us I am looking to spend as little as possible but in the end whatever it takes I suppose to keep this car in top shape... where should I start in diagnosing the problem? (If there is one)

Any discussion is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Keywords to help future searchs:
(I had a hard time finding info I was looking for)
poor, bad, terrible, gas, gasoline, mileage, milage, mpg, tank, gusiler, gussler, fuel, economy

1998 Ford Contour SE Sport 2.5L Duratec/5 speed 68000km and counting.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
happy new yr and welcome aboard...which engine do u have? the 4 cylinder 2.0 zetec or the 2.5 duratec v6???...my only experience is with the v6 and from what i can tell the car just gets not so great mileage in the city...im guessing i get somewhere around 18 give or take in the city but on the highway now i've been getting 31-37 mpg lately...biggest change was tires on the front...before the new tires i was getting if lucky mid to high 20's on the highway

my city mileage is still relatively poor but i think a big part of it is how i drive...im a madman

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
You could change the fuel filter, put in something like Techron fuel system cleaner, change the air filter, and make sure your tires are inflated properly.

As far as "reconditioned and new" from a dealership...don't count on it.

You may also want to look into replacing your spark plugs and possibly the wires too.

None of these should cost you a ton of money.

Welcome to the CEG!

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
mondala, I get about the same during the winter and about 450 to tank in the summer.

I think most has to do with winter gas. Where do you get it from? Techron is near impossible to find here, try some Marvel Mystery oil. It is cheap and worked for me.

Don't sweat it.

Last edited by Tony D; 01/01/03 03:42 PM.

1998 Contour SE Panasonic CQ-DFX683 Sound by Crystal Mobile & Illusion Audio Powered by Alpine MRP-F240, Alpine MRP-M350 My Ride
M
mondala Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by Tony D:
mondala, I get about the same during the winter and about 450 to tank in the summer.

I think most has to do with winter gas. Where do you get it from? Techron is near impossible to find here, try some Marvel Mystery oil. It is cheap and worked for me.

Don't sweat it.

350 KILOMETERS or miles in the winter? If it is 350 to 450km a tank you get then I am feeling better already. I love the car I don't want it have any problems. 450km in the summer would be great consider my little civic cx got about 550 in the summer with custom rims and tires.

I will take a look for the techron engine cleaner, it sells at wal mart according to the manufacturers website.

Thanks for the feedback all.

M
mondala Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by gdub520:
happy new yr and welcome aboard...which engine do u have? the 4 cylinder 2.0 zetec or the 2.5 duratec v6???...my only experience is with the v6 and from what i can tell the car just gets not so great mileage in the city...im guessing i get somewhere around 18 give or take in the city but on the highway now i've been getting 31-37 mpg lately...biggest change was tires on the front...before the new tires i was getting if lucky mid to high 20's on the highway

my city mileage is still relatively poor but i think a big part of it is how i drive...im a madman

It is the v6, 2.5 L, 24 valve. I don't know a lot about engines, these are just numbers to me, mtx, atc I'm not sure. If everyone has poor mileage with this engine then I can suffice because I love the car.

M
mondala Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally posted by MotorCity:
You could change the fuel filter, put in something like Techron fuel system cleaner, change the air filter, and make sure your tires are inflated properly.

As far as "reconditioned and new" from a dealership...don't count on it.

You may also want to look into replacing your spark plugs and possibly the wires too.

None of these should cost you a ton of money.

Welcome to the CEG!

I am going to look for the techron cleaner, thankyou. I will also look into the plugs and wires, etc.

"Reconditioned and new" from a dealer, I agree, I am suspicious but the mileage apparently might not be too bad from you and others are posting?

I did get a 3 year "damien chrysler" powertrain warranty when I bought the car from the local dodge dealership, I should look into the details. Power train, however might not help with wiring etc (and probably anything else i will need). I should look into this.

I was kind of the "unintelligent comsumer" when I bought my contour. It kinda went like this; I seen it, I wanted it, I bought it! Time to learn more about my car now, other then it is great. <grin>

thanks for the feedback.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
For some reason (not just picking on you) everyone has this thing for "per tank". 350km = 217.5mi, if a full tank is 16 gallons then you are getting 13.6 miles per gallon. That is horrible even in really cold weather. Unless you let your car warm up for 15 minutes before you drive, there is something wrong. My Crown Vic gets 18 mpg at it's worst.

Maybe you should double check.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Yeah...even though my tanks holds 15.4 gallons and it says E, I usually only can fill up with about 13 gallons. Usually get about 300 miles out of that 13 gallons.

300/13 = 23.1 MPG City/Highway driving

Just replaced fuel filter. Will see if I get any improvement.

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
file this into your "quality is job 1 folder"
The fuel tank capacity was misprinted in the owners manual of the 98 and newer contours. The figure supplied is 15.4, however the true capacity is 14.8.
Not to say that this will drastically change anyones mpg figures, but I make it a point to state this whenever someone posts about fuel economy.

Turbocharged trolling around here somewhere. Beat your wife, Potvin, beat your wife! True Blue 06...err...07~LET'S GO RANGERS!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard