Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
"Take off the TB and check that the EGR ports are clear - mine were plugged with black crud and had similar prob. Clean-out with solvent and air and works fine now. "

I took off the tb and tried to clean as much black [censored] off as i could but right inside the intake head thing. there are some litle pokey things sticking up, are those the things your saying to clean. btw: what is the EGR ports. Sorry i dont have the contour lingo down yet. I know just about everything there is to knwo about grand am's but the contours' engine is quite new to me. thanks every one for your help so far. the throttle hang problem is that when the gas peddle sticks while driving, and where can i find the fix to this, i tried putting a little rubber door stop on the adjustment screw and that helped but it isnt permanient. thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The little pokey things sticking up are just diffusers. Make sure the gasket is off and there is a channel in the face that needs to be cleaned out.

EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) ports are just the passages that let the gasses back into the intake.

Use carb cleaner on the throttle body but don't get it in the plastic throttle position sensor. Get the gunk out of the bore and off of the flap.

Make sure the external return spring is on there.

Some years had stickey cables, if it keeps up you may have to replace it.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
my car is doing the same thing.... where is this IAC valve on my car thanks.

L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
The IAC is the silver tube like thing that is attached to the back of the upper manifold on the driver's side. The air bypass hose comes in right by it. Two 7mm bolts and it is off!

I cleaned mine and reattached it two years ago and have had no problems with it.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
G
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
G
how do ya clean it just blow it out with a compressor ?

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
do you have to replace the gasket if there is one? I haven't had time to pop the hood yet..... in NY we still have like 6 inches of snow on the ground. thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
No, carb cleaner, no force.
Gasket is your call. If too much of the graphite chuncks off it's a good idea, same for throttle body.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
I believe this is the part that you are talking about, its in the middle back by your winshield, It as a pain in the ass to get to, I removed it and cleaned it and the gasket broke so I ended up making my own. The hole thing only took about 15-20 minutes to do.

If you can't find it look at this picture and see if it helps

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by jfish1gta:
alright when I am idleing at a stop light or stop sign something for a little while. the tach will go down to 500 then back up to 1000 then slowly all the way down to zero. then it sounds like the engine restarts it self then is fine for a little while. whats kausing this to happen??? I just replaced the drive belt and all the plug boots and wires so that isnt the problem. any one else had this happen???

i have a 95 gl and i have the same damn problem!!

------------ *2003 Mustang, Redfire, 5-speed, 15,000 miles and counting.. sequential tails, reflective bumper inserts, smoked headlight covers, stereo, ps2, 6.4 lcd screen, stright-thru duals... *95 Contour GL, 152K miles and counting...
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
I just cleaned the IAC Unit, everything is running like a million bucks, I can't even get it to die, the idle sounds even smoother now.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard