Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by MotorCity:
Actually, Airknight said it will not CAUSE leaks. As you said it may REVEAL problems that already exist.

Exactly! I stand by my comment of synthetic will not cause leak.

K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Its a proven performer and it come from the factory in Porche, Viper and Corvettes to name a few. It may cost about twice as much, atleast Mobil 1 does, but when you stop and think about how long you can leave it in there and how many people here have had it sent out and tested and then told it still has life left in it, why wouldn't you run it. Don't forget the oil filter, Mobil 1, Pure One or the K&N gold to name a few, you need a quality filter when running the extended interval

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by MotorCity:
Originally posted by Drumbo:
Originally posted by AirKnight:
Originally posted by FastFordFreak:
It can cause leaks in high-mileage engines

WRONG! Synthetic oil is NOT the cause of oil leak. It's because of other problem like the gaskets are already getting brittle, and the more refined synthetic oil can seep through the cracks. The only bad thing about synthetic oil is cost.

Not wrong, actually.

Post-conversion leaks often are revealed due to the aggressive detergent packages found in hi-end synthetics. If the engine is oil-fouled due to age or neglect, the synth will very quickly clean out the residual gunk deposited by conventional oils. This can reveal existing leaks or weaknesses that had been masked by the gunk.

Actually, Airknight said it will not CAUSE leaks. As you said it may REVEAL problems that already exist.

You're right. I misread Airknight's post.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
This thread seems to have taken a life of it's own. I wonder if it will ever end.

About Mobil 1 and oil leaks. According to some of the reading i have done, and I don't remember where, early Mobil 1 sometimes did cause leaks, especially when used in older engines. Mobil 1 has since changed their formulation so this is less of a problem. It seems that the base stock tended to slightly shrink some gasket materials, especially when changing to Mobil 1 after using dino oil for a long time. The move to the "tri synthetic" nearly eliminated that problem as the offending base stock was supplimented with two additional base stocks that did not have that property. Receintly, Mobil 1 has had their formulation altered once again. I'm sure that they are continually working to improve the product.

After reading that, I reflected on some engine tear downs I had seen where Mobil 1 had been used. The gaskets did look a little different, but nothing I could quite put my finger on. It was like suddenly a part of the puzzle came together.

I'm sure that these comments will stir the pot and generate more posts for this thread.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I'd like to thank everyone who posted...i have recived some very important and intresting information.

I think the last question i have is:

I have been using mobile one since i got my car in sept. of 2002. It had 72,000 miles on it...should i ahve changed the gakets on my car when i did this? Because when i changed the oild eveything was fine for a month or 2 then as the system starth cleaning out, i noticed a leak near, or possibly comming fomr the oil pan.

Any thoughts??? And it looks like the oil is comming from the crank or the oil pan area, on the right side of the engine block(passanger side)? Any thoughts if its due to crank whip?

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Crank whip won't effect the gaskets.

You might have an oil pan gasket leaking, but before getting into it, try cleaning the oil with a good degreaser. Oil spilled from changing the oil filter runs back along the top on the pan gasket flange of the block. It can run past the front of the engine by the front crank seal and look all the world like the pan gasket is leaking. I have cleaned many of these up to reveal that there were no leaks, only spilled oil.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Well...I just replaced my oil pan gasket, trust me...you'll know when it's leaking. Like big jim said...clean it off then check it out after a few days, if it's leaking.....you'll know.

I don't think that your oil caused the leak, the gasket wearing out caused the leak!!

2000 WS6 Convertible A4 13.11 @ 107.5 with a lid, Ram Air and LTs Gone:95 Mystique LS Young America edition V6, MTX 15.6 @ 91
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
OH, I know the oil is not the culprit, in my last statement if you read, the sythetic cleaned out my system. What i ment is that it got rid of all the Dino oil deposits, thus showing me a possible leak or weakness in one of the gaskets...Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by mcgainer:
Originally posted by Thuundar80530:
Get out of the 60s, and into the next century.

Riiiiiiiiiiight...next thing you'll be telling us is that Fuel Injection is better than my Holley Double Pumper...

Yes, it is. For the daily-driver, non-racing machines most of us own, fuel injection is superior in every way to the Holley-fied ways of yesteryear.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard