Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Is there a statute of limitations on notifying a person of a suspension?

1999 Contour SE Sony Xplod 50x4 cd player Sony Xplod 1600 watt Class D amp 2 10" Flame-Q Audiobahns 35% tint done by Madavi's Motor Sports
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
What'd you do this time?

2000 Contour SVT 17" Focus SVT wheels Intrax suspension #1694
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Apparently not...

When we moved from TN to GA, my g/f had a problem getting her license changed. Apparently, her lic got suspended in TN (stupid issue relating to failure update her address), but she was never notified that it was suspended.

This is not the first or second time I've heard of this. Seems like it's just a way for the DMV/DPS to cash in more of our $.

Blah...

--JamesT

>--------------< --Chemguru 99 CSVT Frost /Mid. Blue 00 Suzuki SV650 Red, Naked
U
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
U
I have to be honest, I have never heard of a liscence being susp for address related issues. They can fine for not having a current address and maybe then by not paying the fine it can get susp.. but susp straight out of the gate 4 an address related issue is a little harsh IMO. They also have to serve you an order of suspension but if she has an old address on her liscense my guess is it went there.

2k silver svt #1721 Ignorance breeds stupidity..
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
That is the way that it works in FL, but different states may have different laws.

Also, remember that there is the human factor involved in notifying someone that their license is suspended. So, mistakes happen and sometimes you may not get notification.

In FL, driving on a suspended drivers license is illegal, but only criminal if the officer can prove that you knew about it, otherwise it is only another ticket.

Jacob 1999 Tropic Green SVT 1693/2760 3/30/1999 Knauberized Fog Light Mod
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
from someone who has been there a few times..yes they can suspend your license without you knowing about it. however, when that happens, there is usually a note put on your DMV record thats states 'not notified' so if you get pulled over the officer can't charge you with driving on a suspended license. as for the suspension for not updating your address...check with an attorney (free consultations are good) and see what he/she can tell you. seems a little harsh to me...it could just be as simple as letting them know the new addy and paying a small reinstatement fee...

Moderated by  Lee_dup2, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard