Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Learned patience the hard way
OP Offline
B
Hey all, I'm trying to guage interest in the possibility of making a water to air intercooler for the vortech cars. I'm currently working with Keyser to get the main pieces and then will be doing the fabbing and fitting on my car as soon as I get the engine dropped back in. I'm doing this for my own purposes right now, but if there is enough interest I will offer it as a kit from Buckshot Motorsports. Rough estimate on cost is around a grand or less. This is the same setup as on the turbo cars with the exception of different end tanks and this will also have an option of an upgraded blowoff valve to replace that piece of junk bosch one that comes with the kit. Please post here if you are interested and have the money to put in on this. With any luck the kit would be ready mid spring.

Thanks,
Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I would, but then again that would be giving my 'new' plans away wouldn't it??

DOH!

Ryan Trollin!
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Rick,

I thought someone had installed an older eclipse intercooler
onto their svt, and that it would work w/a hood vent.

wouldn't that be a cheaper alternative? I'd really like an intercooler
but $1k is not in my price range....

For Sale: 1998.5 Silver Frost SVT. Vortech supercharger, ShoShop Y Pipe, Borla catback, DMD, Spec Stage II clutch, Quaife LSD, B+M shifter, Ground control coilovers, Koni struts and much more. see classifieds....
B
OP Offline
B
Simon (fst4dr) was working on getting the old style air to air intercooler fit up to his car. I beleive he had a problem with gluing some of the tubing onto the intercooler and it not holding up to the air pressure. In theory you can mount about any type of intercooler you want and air to air would probably be your cheapest with the amount of old cores to be had on ebay fairly cheap. This setup will be similar to what vortech offers for the mustang crowd at a cost of $1500.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
This setup will be similar to what vortech offers for the mustang crowd at a cost of $1500.

I was about to say a water to air IC kit for under a grand is a deal!

...but you beat me too it...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Something else to mention is that air to air isn't nearly as effective as water to air, especially come race day when you can pour ice in your coolant tank!!! Cheap = make and air to air yourself, hack a hole in the hood, or run pipes to under the front bumper, yet stil not be as effective as the water to air. Which brings up another advantage of water to air in most cases... it minimizes the piping = less boost wasted running through extra lengths to get to the engine.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
The only real downside to a water to air is the added complexity that the water circuit brings w/ it.

and for the record, in my educated opinion, the Vortech kit desperately needs an intercooler . . .

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
OP Offline
B
Actually the water circuit is pretty dang simple on this one. Just a nice closed continuous loop with about 8 hook ups in it and some simple plumbing.

Ya, I wanted to bump my boost to 12 psi so I pretty much have to go intercooled since I'm not dropping the CR on the pistons. I also don't think the trim on this S/C will pump out much more than that on our cars.

Rick

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
That was a good quetion I once had. I did some looking on vortechs website and its good up to 20psi. Ricklee is supposidly pumping out 15 psi in his 2.7 cougar. He had an intecooler made by spearco. I am not sure weather it was air to air or air to water. What do you think about vortechs intecooler units? There was one unit that it looked like if you clocked the outlet that it would work with are cars.

98CSVT specII yada yada yada 95 Mustang GT M&M road&track box HP stage one 60-mm
B
OP Offline
B
I'm figuring with my extended redline and smaller pulley I'm probably able to go up to the 15 psi range on my 3L but I don't plan on running that high unless I'm really in the mood to blow something up. I'm upgrading my BOV as well so at least I'll be able to adjust it on that route. I saw 9 psi at 6K when the engine blew last time and this time I'm running a smaller pulley yet and the redline is going to be set at 8K. I'm not sure of the vortech stuff as I didn't look too closely. Basically this is a spearco core and then the rest of the kit was put together by Keyser and I'm making the modifications to fit it for the vortech. From holding it up in place it should be a very nice install.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard