Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
NICE!!~~~ Well GREAT WORK~~~ once again~ i'm in for sure... i'll try to get a photoshop pic... i know a guy that is GREAT with it! KEEP me updated!

MY TOYS 98.5 Black/Midnight Blue SVT 2003 Yellow Honda CBR 600 RR 2004 Green/wht. Yamaha 740XL Waverunner Waiting on a hood, to see what my next step is for the SVT.
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Originally posted by NorCalCoug:
Originally posted by AirKnight:
The scoop look very non-functional.

Uh, how do you mean?

I mean the thing is sitting at the wrong place. Our airfilter is what we really need a scoop over. The whole point to have a scoop is to get cooler air into the engine, so I'd have to say having that sitting over top of the valve cover does no good.

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G

Uh, how do you mean?

Let me explain how a hood like this works.

As air moves over the hood of the car, it creates a pressure zone. This will draw hot engine-bay air out of the engine bay and keep it nice and cool. In addition, when you're at idle or at the light, it will bleed heat out of the engine bay.

Didn't concept than ram air. Why else would they design, build and put that style on cars? Just for show?

For example:

Last edited by SVT ST PETE; 12/05/02 01:04 AM.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
N
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N

Uh, how do you mean?

I mean the thing is sitting at the wrong place. Our airfilter is what we really need a scoop over. The whole point to have a scoop is to get cooler air into the engine, so I'd have to say having that sitting over top of the valve cover does no good.

Putting a scoop over the air filter is going to do nothing but ram rocks and pebbles into your air filter. Having a 'reverse' scoop like this helps remove the warm air from the engine bay in the first place, which will let your intake draw in cooler air. The air isn't going to get much cooler than ambient outside temperature (give or take a couple of degrees for air movement), so the best you can do is give your intake air-temperature air, as opposed to hot engine bay air. Well, if you remove the hot engine bay air, then your problem is solved.

2001 ATX V6 Dark Shadow Grey Merc Cougar(Sport Pkg, ABS, traction control and sunroof )
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Count me in ... SVTweeter ... Jared M. jared@dialupusa.net, 206-931-8181 cell ... please contact me or post to this when we need to send payments after we get a confirmation of the 15. Thanks!

http://svtitan.com 98.5 Black SVT #6364 6/9/98, Xenons, 18' Neeper Titans, KKM, (4) 15 Kickr L7's, (2)Ethqwk PHD2's, Memphis 3004&st150,(4) kickr 6.5 subs, ID CD2 Horns, 5%, Bassani, GC, Koni's, B&M, 153.4dbDBDrag
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Then why would the STi have the scoop over the intercooler if stones is going to destroy the intercooler fins? For non turbo Impreza, that scoop is over the airfilter. I'm not arguing about having the scoop facing incoming air or backward becasue I know how reverse facing scoop can work. I'm arguing about where it is placed. The airfilter doesn't draw air from the front valve cover area. So, logically the closer the scoop is to the airfilter area the better it is.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Man people... I wish you would get off of NOR's back about this crap~ You want the hood or you don't. Nor correct me if i'm wrong but you dont' even have a Contour or Mystique... right~>?? he's doing this for us~ So if you want the hood and you like it GREAT~ if you don't like it... then fine... Don't get in on it~ But don't knock the man down for trying to come up with something for out cars~!
~
Oh and with and intercooler/Turbo~ Those babies get hot enough to melt every wire in your engine~ So that's y the intercoolers are MAINLY place in the front air dam, or with a functions scoop like the one on the WRX's.
~And my 2c's about the hoods! I love this style, My buddy has the two front scoops on his R/T dakota, and man does that thing let in DUST, MUD, RAIN! He has to get his Engine STEAM cleaned like every other month! I would WAY rather have a REVERSE scoop like this one!
NOR keep me update... and hopefully we can get more people!

MY TOYS 98.5 Black/Midnight Blue SVT 2003 Yellow Honda CBR 600 RR 2004 Green/wht. Yamaha 740XL Waverunner Waiting on a hood, to see what my next step is for the SVT.
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Nope, neither one of us has a Contour, but we felt bad that you guys had even LESS of an aftermarket than us, so we decided to start getting stuff done for you guys before we started in on the Cougars

N
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
N
Then why would the STi have the scoop over the intercooler if stones is going to destroy the intercooler fins? For non turbo Impreza, that scoop is over the airfilter. I'm not arguing about having the scoop facing incoming air or backward becasue I know how reverse facing scoop can work. I'm arguing about where it is placed. The airfilter doesn't draw air from the front valve cover area. So, logically the closer the scoop is to the airfilter area the better it is.

If you don't like the hood, you don't have to buy it or join the group buy. I'm not going to sit here and argue the thermal advantage of one hood over another. Here are some facts about temperature in our engine bays:

At speed, your engine bay air temperature is the same as (or a degree or two lower than) ambient air temperature. I've tested this in a Cougar which has slightly less space between the top of the hood and the engine. Only while you are stopped does the engine bay fill with warmer-than-ambient air. The scoop for this would be right over the back end of the engine appearance cover. Guess where the exhaust manifold that generates heat is? Right below that.

Like I said, if you don't want to buy it, don't! No point in arguing with us over the hood. We went through great lengths to get this prepped for group buy and we DON'T EVEN OWN CONTOURS.

2001 ATX V6 Dark Shadow Grey Merc Cougar(Sport Pkg, ABS, traction control and sunroof )
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O

Are ya sure about that, slugger?

Perhaps It's just my poor eyes, but can ya show me where the scoop on this non turbo impreza is? I'm sure its just me and I'm hard of sight. Please, educate me. Err.. Hold on, the non turbo Impreza's dont have a scoop.

The intercooler on a WRX (*gasp* even the non STi version) has a screen to protect it from rocks and pebbles. This is how they can get away with a scoop like this. And it NEEDS that scoop there, hence the name interCOOLer.. Dont think it would be able to cool that incoming air if it was in the engine bay without a scoop there.

So you would like a scoop placed over the air filter. That's cool, slick. But Norcal won't be responsible when you hydrolock your engine when you drive in a rainstorm.

Even with a scoop over the air filter, you're still going to experience heatsoak from a stop. NOTHING short of a plastic heat shield will prevent hot engine air from migrating over to the air filter while the car is not in motion. Not even a dainty little hole cut in the hood above the filter.

Next point. When the car is in motion, air is already circulating through the engine bay. The filter will be sucking in slightly wamrer than ambient air... And on a hot day, 98 degree air isn't gonna make a lot of difference over 93 degree air.

have a charming day.

~nick 2001 Cougar V6 MTX 3L Cougar.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard