Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I drove my car (97 contour SE mtx)about 2 days ago, it was fine. Today I got in and noticed after driving for 15mins the heat never came on and the temp gauge was in the red level! I pulled over and opened the hood and needless to say the engine was really hot.

What could have possibly happened? oil/antifreeze levels are good. I have to drive home on Nov. 27th, 4hours...

Last edited by mtx_only; 11/22/02 10:24 PM.
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Well, if you have a V6, your waterpump went. Get a new waterpump, but get one with a METAL impeller, not plastic like the Ford ones. I don't know much about it, so I'll let other people chime in. But, if you have a V6, I'm 110% sure it's your waterpump.

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

I'm 110% sure it's your waterpump.

I agree. IIRC, AutoZone and BAT have the metal water pumps.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
definately your water pump, It's really easy to change, (there is a how to post on this site) I actually had to put another plastic one on until I got home to order a metal one. Definately make sure you put on the metal one though.

M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
alright, thanks for the help.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I looked into colors of the impeller and if you get a white impeller from Ford you should be in the clear. It seems from asking around that al the impellers that failed are black in color. The white ones seem to have gone into the 99 and 00's, this is why failures are on the 98 and older mainly.

I ask if the metal pump is a good choice. The pump is underdriven off the cam and it is overdriven itself. So is it really a good idea to use a heavier metal pump? Granted it will not fail like the plastic one but the newer plastic impeller should be fine.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
i think u may be right on the color of the plastic impeller...when my waterpump was going (not completely gone but was leaking here and there causing me to go thru alot of water/coolant) the dealer replaced it since my car was covered under used car warr...i asked about them getting a metal impeller pump but that wasn't gonna happen...the service did tell me however that it was a better pump and mde of white plastic...if i can get another 70k on this one im happy...

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
yeah, i made an appointment at a local ford dealership. Autozone has the metal impeller for $70. How much do you think for will charge for labor, and how long will it take?

S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
When mine went i couldn't get a Metal one but I got the white plastic one.. Didn't have any problems since.

If you have any Mech. ability do it yourself its like a 30min job. 8 bolts IIRC and out and back in its really easy hardest part is making sure all the plastic is out. Mine broke in 3 big peices. But if you can do it yourself it will save you alot of money

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Napa carries the metal impellar pump for about $50-55... named "Dura Pro", part #125-1910

'95 'stiqueLS 2.5L ATX S&B / CTA intake KEM Mag-Plus wires 1/4" TH fix Homemade heat shield Xenon bulbs Fog light rewire ATX cooler Flowmaster 942042 Blacked-out pseudo-chrome
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard