Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I was taking my exit off of the highway, puched in the clutch to downshift, and my car shut off. When attempting to restart its sputtered, as if it wasnt getting a spark, so I initially thought paossibly a plug wire came loose. That wasnt it, as I opened my hood, I noticed 2 things, 1 my coolant bottle was quite steamy,however it is 40 degrees here and raining, so I expect some steam, secondly where I have my little ricer crankcase breather to go with my cai, it was extremely oily. After checking plugs, wires, cleaning out the breather, checked oil level(fine) and not leaking any fluids other than the breather oil the car wasnt sputtering when I tried to start it, it tried to start like normal, but just doesnt go. I have a new battery and the alternator was just checked and all of my terminals are connected. Does anyone have an idea what is up? Help quick my car ios chillin on the side of the highway....

Derek Johnson 88 TurboTBird 32psi, t3/t4 bb 50trim, megasquirt, 3 bar map, 50lb inj, roller cam w adj. gear, header, 3" downpipe and full exhaust, gutted intake manifolds, spec stg 3 95SE 3L gone
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
i also forgot to add that my heater didnt work my whole trip home which is about 20 mins, could it be a bad thermostat?

Derek Johnson 88 TurboTBird 32psi, t3/t4 bb 50trim, megasquirt, 3 bar map, 50lb inj, roller cam w adj. gear, header, 3" downpipe and full exhaust, gutted intake manifolds, spec stg 3 95SE 3L gone
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
The heater didnt work or it was just blowing cold air?
Check your antifreeze level in the radiator when the car cools down, you might be low and you overheated.

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
So you're saying it cranks normally but won't start?

That would be spark or fuel or engine damage. Spark is easy to check, put a spare plug in and lay it on metal - then crank. if you don't see a spark check fuses. Ignition module or crank sensor will kill spark.

Judging fuel pressure may be harder unless there is a Schrader fitting (like a tire valve), cover with a rag and press the stem down - gas should squirt.

It could also be the timing belt has broken or jumped. Loosen the cover and take a look.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
just got it started after waiting liek 20 mins, it has a real bad miss, and oil is everywhee on the tranny and firewall, looks like it came through that breather....
umm so it runs bur very very rough. now what, and no check engien light even....

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

you might be low and you overheated

I was thinking th esame thing, and posted in the Zetec forum. Im thinking mabye a blown head gasket since its running rough and the oil all over.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Sounds like the water pump - but you better do a compression test first.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
here are some pics of the engine bay......

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard