Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
i have x-drilled rotors and naturally after getting them i started seeing posts about the reliability of these...things like them being prone to cracking, etc...

lately i've been finding dimpled/slotted rotors for sale...anyone have an experience or info on dimpled rotors

im guessing being dimpled instead of drilled is better (not including rotors with the holes cast into them during manufacturing)

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I have the slotted rotors and havent had any problems with them. As for performance I didnt notice any hugh gains from the rotors. The stainless steel lines made a bigger difference.

Ground Control Coilovers Koni Adjustable struts Sub-frame connectors Slotted rotors Carbon Fibre pads Stainless Steel Braided line KKM Intake Pro-Flow Mass-air Meter 22mm rear sway bar Polyurethane motor mount inserts
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
thats all good but i was looking for thoughts on the dimpled rotors i've been seeing lately...they have dimples like a golf ball as an example instead holes

but then again no one responded with anything else so thanks j.s

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
For street use, even high performance street use, the cross drilling, slots, and dimples really don't do anything for brake performance. They are really only for looks. If you are trying to improve brake performance, choose a good set of premium pads with stock rotors.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
What Jim said.

The dimples on the EBC rotors, for example, are meant to simulate the look of cross-drilled without increasing the risk of crack formation. They have no performance advantage whatsoever.

Trouble is, even shallow holes reduce overall rotor mass, and therefore reduce the rotor's ability to absorb heat.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
@gdub520

The Drilled rotors are designed to allow air to pass to the surface to aid cooling and the grooves are designed to de-glaze the pad and dissipate any excess break dust, I would guess that the dimple variety wouldn't do either of these very effectively, I use Black Diamond Cross Drilled and Grooved Rotors on all four wheels, they are without a doubt in conjunction with EBC Green stuff front pads and Bosch Silent Rear pads the best I have ever used, you can really feel it on the tyres under excessive hard breaking, I have posted pictures in the appropriate area, fyi I have also used EBC front rotors and although better than the ford, they really are not up to the BD, the only thing that was a little weird was the amount of run in time, the Black Phosphate coating took some getting through.

Neil

Mondeo (UK Model) GhiaX 2.5 v6 DMD 2003 Version GhiaX 2000 Spec Semi Automatic Climate Control Power Folding Mirrors, Japan Stylie Ford OEM RSAP Latest Sump Revision
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Cross drilled rotors should have the hole counter sunk to help prevent rotor craking.. Both cross drilled and slotted rotors serve the same function.. that of removing pad gas build up when the brakes get really hot .. not something you'll see in street driving and rarely, if ever, with our cars on the race track.. just something for show and having both drilled and cross slotted on the same rotor is really dum..

- Rich LBC Performance Motorsports Group/AMSOIL '98 Cougar V6 ATX aka 'Candy Striper' Photos
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i thought the holes are to remove gases and the slots to improve braking cuz they cut into the pads keeping them "clean" to bite without brake fading

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
I got the EBC dimpled slotted rotors by mistake (company sent wrong ones!) And besides looking pretty cool and making a weird whirring sound under hard braking, I don't think they do a damn thing. Theoretically dimpled and slotted and rotors with holes will all help disipate heat by increasing the surface area, but this effect will be minimal.

don't drink and drive.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Neil:
The Drilled rotors are designed to allow air to pass to the surface to aid cooling and the grooves are designed to de-glaze the pad and dissipate any excess break dust

Originally posted by mr_froge:
Both cross drilled and slotted rotors serve the same function.. that of removing pad gas build up when the brakes get really hot

Originally posted by hmouta:
i thought the holes are to remove gases and the slots to improve braking cuz they cut into the pads keeping them "clean" to bite without brake fading

No.

See Wilwood FAQ: Why are some rotors drilled or slotted? and Team scR: Those poor rotors

For more brake system information try these links:

Stoptech White Papers
Grassroots Motorsports Brakes article

Cheers,
--
Terry McG

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard