Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Hi again guys! I was wondering if any of you know what happens with the 2 primary catalitic converters when you install the turbo, as well as if the turbo spins by the exhaust of one or both bank. Thank you very much again!

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
The turbo headers replace the stock manifolds which include the precats. If you are looking for a street legal way to boost, your only option is Vortech.

Both headers join together before the turbo, so both banks spin it.

Simon new- '04 Dodge Dakota 4x4. V8, 5spd FOR SALE Black 98 SVT EO (#2119 of 6535)- SOLD! New project-'88 Ranger 302 swap.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by fst4dr:
The turbo headers replace the stock manifolds which include the precats. If you are looking for a street legal way to boost, your only option is Vortech.

Both headers join together before the turbo, so both banks spin it.

He's in Mexico. I believe they have less strict emissions laws.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Hi guys! So, if you loose the precats, you'll need an emulator for the rear O2 sensors, right?

About the emission test here, is a pain in the ass since it has to be made each 6 months; the maximum limits for a car like the contour are: HC 100ppm CO 1% NOx 1000ppm and the minimum for the CO2 is 14%; with a gasoline not as good as we would like, and living 2,240 meters above sea level, sometimes the test can be tricky.

Only Mexico city has this limits and tests, but well, on the other hand I live in the most polluted city in the world, so the test isn't that bad.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Joaquin, there is stil a main catalytic converter which should do a good job of scrubbing the exhaust. The Turbo kit has shown to actually improve mileage, which means it's runnning less fat, thus the HC output is lower. Also with the levated exhaust temp you should get a better burn and the cat will be nice and hot making sure it runs at it's best. I think you would pass. After all this kit was developed in Arizona, where emission testing is in force, and I am pretty sure they developed it with the mind to pass the tests there. As long as you don't have a visual examination which demands the pre-cats from being on the car, you should be OK.

Keyser, chime in if you feel the need.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
you can run a turbo off the stock manifolds I plan to do just that(the poor man turbo project). if you make a cross-over pipe and tee off of it at a 90 degree angle then run it up to where your turbo is bolted on it will work just fine and on top of that after the turbo use minimum 24 inches of 3 inch piping back down to exhaust and you can put it right back into your main cat with out needing to put an over size exhaust on.

can we say sleeper.

97_contour _sport Added T-red wing Cougar big brakes DMD pulley SS brake lines Ford 9mm wires 21mm BAT bar SVT motor mount ES bushings Metal water pump ST200 badges & mats ST200 UIM/LIM Cold air intake BAT Y-pipe
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
It's harder than you may think, and the stock cat is too small anyway. You NEED to run a 3" cat.

That's why it has taken so long to release the Turbo-kit = DEVELOPMENT

Plus the biggest thing is the engine management, i.e. fuel delivery, A/F control and spark timing adjustment.

You can piggy back a few ancilliaries to do this, but it adds up.

Keyser used the "piggy back" idea to first develop the turbo kit, but it was a pain in the butt! Their new approach will be much simpler, easier to adjust and more cost effective.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I smell something burning already.

Sal Khan 00 SVT - Not pretty 00 Aprilia RSV Mille - Also Loved. http://www.thelunchjournals.com "I just want someone I can stand once her mouth is free of obstruction."
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by SalKhan:
I smell something burning already.

Yeah, your butt.

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page

Link Copied to Clipboard