Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
OP Offline
O
Took my '97 into Autozone today and the folks refused to give me the code on the CEL because of some new California Law stating that only certified technicians can check CELs.

Anyone hear of this before? They would not even let me check it my self. Now the cheapest place I have found will charge me $75 just to give me the F***ing codes.

'97 Zetec +100k of SoCal Freeways New deck but otherwise modless '85 Mustang LX Convertible +200k of Cali Freeways Still Runnin' outlyr242@yahoo.com
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Sounds like something very well possible in the PRK, Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
onw thing you might want to check on is that your parts guy is a ASE cert mech- I know mine is- so he could anyway - but theres just a thought-

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
think theres some chain store that has guys that are certified. try the major ones, i heard an ad on the radio. pep boys, advance auto?

now officially a troll, i guess. used to have a black 96 SE, until it broke down one too many times. now I'm hunting for a motorycle.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Buy A CODE READER from Harbour Freight. COM

$40.00 Mine is on backorder[OBBD 2]

1999 GREEN Contour SE SPORT Duratec V6, ATX, SUNROOF, 93,000 Miles, P0420 ON&OFF -replaced DS O2 --did not FIX *New TORQUE CONVERTER @ 53,000-Intermittent P1744 *New DASH at 53,000 and New DASH lifted-now using MOLLEY bolts to pull down
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

Buy A CODE READER from Harbour Freight. COM

$40.00 Mine is on backorder[OBBD 2]

Sounds like a good price. Im gonna have to check that out.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Yeah I tried to get mine read the other day and the guy at autozone told me the same thing. He said that companies were complaining to the goverment because they were losing money not being able to charge money for checking your codes for you.

Just a Plain SE. AKA Big Country I maybe path914's B**** now, but wait until he needs his clutch done. We will see WHO is WHO's B**** then!
O
OP Offline
O
Originally posted by myfastse:
Yeah I tried to get mine read the other day and the guy at autozone told me the same thing. He said that companies were complaining to the goverment because they were losing money not being able to charge money for checking your codes for you.

Yeah how unAmercian of us to do some work ourselves. For the security of the nation we need to make car repair illegal.

What ticks me off is not so much that I might have to pay to get the CEL codes but that I have to do it because of my government required smog check.

'97 Zetec +100k of SoCal Freeways New deck but otherwise modless '85 Mustang LX Convertible +200k of Cali Freeways Still Runnin' outlyr242@yahoo.com
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
If any of you Californians are up to it, I would suggest writing to your local political representatives about this. You shouldn't be forced to have someone (possibly less competent) work on your car.

You never know, you might make a difference...

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Sheesh.

Yet another reason why California should just fall off into the Pacific Ocean. You couldn't pay me to live in that Hell hole of a state!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard