Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I was wondering if any one had any answers to the following:

1. Would having the cylinder head milled while rebuilding raise compression??

2. If Yes then would I recieve any minor/major HP changes?

3. I know that it would lower my displacement but what I'm really interested in is the HP change..

Thanks to anyone who can help...Mike

98 ford contour CAI Strait pipe from cat back lots of neon future plans include Turbo and NOS and a body kit
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Mine got milled and has raised compression... it requires premium gas but the power is lower than before. This may be a cam timing error (though we could not measure one), or maybe it's a problem with the stock computer program.

In theory this should raise power, but they say if you want to raise compression you should do it with the pistons, not the head... but then, some of the fancy heads they sell, like Esslinger's, are shaved this way.

It does not change your displacement -- that number refers only to the volume swept by the motion of the pistons, not to the combustion chamber volume.

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
I would think you have to be careful to not take off too much when milling the head. You dont want the valves hitting the piston
More compression always means more power, Im not sure why your engine doesnt run stronger.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
I would think you have to be careful to not take off too much when milling the head. You dont want the valves hitting the piston
More compression always means more power, Im not sure why your engine doesnt run stronger.
I was thinking of the same thing.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
So that's why it's losing power... the friction of the valves bumping into the pistons all the time.

Seriously, I'd like to figure it out, because they're starting a group buy of superchips, and it would be nice not to stick one on a mis-tuned engine.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
the friction of the valves bumping into the pistons all the time.

Physically hitting the valves ??? Are u sure ???

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
So that's why it's losing power... the friction of the valves bumping into the pistons all the time.

That is scary.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
In reply to:

LOL sounds pretty bad

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Is it possible that the cam gear(s)-to-crankshaft gear dimension is affected by head milling enough to affect cam timing (assuming that the timing belt teeth are sitting in the same pulley grooves)? Hopefully, this makes sense.

Dunno...just my $.02

Is the smoke alarm in your house also known as the dinner bell? '99 Zetec VCT Daily Driver Mild Air Filter Mod
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
It doesn't affect the gear ratios, but it does effect the length of belt between the drive gear and the driven gears, so it could throw it off. But when we put the belt on, we measured the cam timing as accurately as we could and found no error. I sure wouldn't be surprised if it was actually off by a degrees or two, though. I think the error would be in the retarding direction.

How is performance affected if your cams are two degrees behind -- does anyone know?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard